Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where is it in Lincolnshire?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Angela

Angela Report 8 Dec 2004 08:54

Does anyone in Lincolnshire know where Little Randall is? One of my rellies has this as his birthplace on the 1871 census. On other censuses he has Louth, so I suppose it is in that area. Does Little Randall exist or has someone made a transcription error? Looking at the handwriting, that is what I translated it as as well. Any ideas? Cheers - Angela

Geoff

Geoff Report 8 Dec 2004 09:41

I agree that's what it says on the census form but know of no such place (nor does Google). I suggest you go to www.old-maps.*co.uk , zoom into Louth and have a look round for clues.

Angela

Angela Report 8 Dec 2004 15:09

Thanks, Geoff. I will give it a go. Thanks - Angela

Walter

Walter Report 9 Dec 2004 17:46

could it possibly be LITTLE GRANSDEN in Cambridge?

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 9 Dec 2004 18:16

There isn't a Little Randall in the OS Gazetteer that we've got (and it is pretty detailed, although also not 19th century!) - and nothing at first sight which could readily be confused with it. Did you get the name from the image yourself or from someone else's transcription? Christine

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 9 Dec 2004 18:27

Looking on a map, the only Little XXs near Louth seem to be Little Welton (W), Little Cawthorpe (S), Little Carlton (SE), and Little Grimsby (N). Christine