Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

marriage certs??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~Summer Scribe~

~Summer Scribe~ Report 7 Dec 2004 18:52

We just got the marriage cert for my mothers parents through the post. I expected that it would be a photocopy of the original entry.... and therefore signed by the two people getting married. However, although obviously a photocopy, it is signed by the person who completed the rest of the certificate (including the names of the witnesses) is this usual? I've never ordered/seen one of these copies before so really don't know what to expect or is usual for them. I'm just a bit confused now. Thanks in advance, Liz

Judith

Judith Report 7 Dec 2004 22:17

When a marriage takes/took place in church 2 registers are filled in, and signed by the people concerned. Every three months the vicar then sends a copy of the details from the registers to the local register office, who in turn send these to the GRO - these will all be in one handwriting, that of the vicar. When the registers themselves are full one copy is deposited with the local register office - but if you send to them for copies they often type out certificates rather than photocopy them. The other register may stay at the church, or more likely will be deposited at the county record office. If you can visit there, or contact them and ask for a photocopy of the entry it will have the original signatures. Hope this helps. Judith

~Summer Scribe~

~Summer Scribe~ Report 8 Dec 2004 01:20

thanks judith, how does that work if they married at a register office? I dread to think how annoyed my mum will be if we spent out all that money and waited a week for GRO to send out a marriage cert we could wandered down the records office lol. Liz

Judith

Judith Report 8 Dec 2004 19:18

Register office marriage registers stay in the local register office, with a transcription returned quarterly to GRO. They don't deposit at the Records office as far as I know. Judith

~Summer Scribe~

~Summer Scribe~ Report 8 Dec 2004 20:05

ahh thank you.. that would certainly make sense :) thanks, Liz :D