Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

C*o^n+fused

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Willy

Willy Report 6 Dec 2004 22:23

HI all,could somebody please solve a problem l have come across.I have a Eliza/Elizabeth Archer born in Lincs, in my family tree.ln the 1871 census there is Eliza Archer b S/Reston,1881 its Eliza Archer b S/Reston but then in 1891 while residing in the local workhouse she is named as Elizabeth b Legbourne (only a mile or two from S/Reston).But also in the 1837 online website it gives her birth place as Legbourne.Also in the early 1900s she wed a local man called Henry Dring,but again she seemed to alter her first name to Eliza again.What am l to believe ?.Please somebody help me with this problem. Yours Very Thankfully WIZZ

Joy

Joy Report 6 Dec 2004 22:30

Almost certainly the same person, I would say - would be good enough for me. I have experienced the name changing slightly, and birthplace being very close. Joy

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Dec 2004 22:39

Elizabeths sometimes got called Eliza, just as several Susannahs in my family became Susans occasionally.

Geoff

Geoff Report 6 Dec 2004 22:40

Does it not say Eliza, Great Carlton in 1881? (also just a mile away!)

Stan

Stan Report 6 Dec 2004 23:35

Hi Wizz In the 1901 Census, Henry Dring is in Louth with a wife Eliza A Dring, aged 39, born Legbourne. There is another Henry Dring with a wife Eliza, but she is 37, born Louth. There is an Eliza M Dring, aged 39, but her husband is Seth, and she is in Long Sutton, born Long Sutton. (There is also a single woman, Eliza Dring, aged 46, in Long Sutton with her sister Susan, but she cannot be the person you want). There is a marriage of Henry Dring and Eliza Ann Archer Jul-Sep 1895, Louth 7a 1167. I conclude this fits with the first of the 1901 census entries, and it fits with your Legbourne record, provided she was born 1861 - 1862, or perhaps earlier if she lied about her age. The oldest child in the house is a daughter of 14, so I conclude that Henry was probably a widower when Eliza Ann married him. I hope this turns out to fit. Regards Stan