Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

CAIN 1881 - HELP!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

quite contrary mary

quite contrary mary Report 6 Dec 2004 13:03

My brick wall. William CAIN shown on 1881 census for Chesterfield living with wife Elizabeth and children. William went to US as miner in 1884 with two eldest boys then came back a few years later to collect another 2 boys. After that none of them were ever heard of again. The helpful enumerator has managed to obliterate William's place of birth which now reads 'Bally Mo...' Other than Bally Money any ideas of what this could be? Looked on Ancestry census for any of these Cain names but no luck so far in finding the right ones. I need inspiration!

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 6 Dec 2004 15:11

Hi Mary On the actual image it says "Ireland Bally Mo??" Had a look on the Irish Ancestors site - the only place name in Ireland that fits is "Bally More". There are two such places with that name - one in Cork, one in Roscommon. Then had a second look at the census image, and I suppose that it could be "Bally Moar" on the image. Richard.