Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Book Recommendation : The Victorian House

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Simon

Simon Report 5 Dec 2004 21:46

Just picked this up in Waterstones today (it was in one of their 3 for 2 offers) - 'The Victorian House' by Judith Flanders. Haven't read too much yet, but by the looks of things its a very comprehensive descrition of live in Victorian times. Lots of illustrations and accounts of live above and below stairs. It's a fairly hefty book with quite small print (which always scares me !) but think it will be well worth it. Simon

Mary

Mary Report 5 Dec 2004 22:30

Sounds interesting Simon. How much was the book please to buy singly? Thank you Mary

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 5 Dec 2004 23:09

I bought this book a few weeks ago and found it brilliant. The print is fairly small but its written in a chatty easy to read style. It gives you a real idea of what life was like for our ancestors Jenny

John

John Report 6 Dec 2004 08:16

£7.19 on Amazon.

Simon

Simon Report 6 Dec 2004 08:45

Looks like its £8.99 if bought singly - so good suggestion there about Amzon's price.

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 6 Dec 2004 09:00

Great book - got the hardback edition last year!

Tiamo

Tiamo Report 6 Dec 2004 09:41

Thanks, Simon. Saw this in a bookshop a few months ago and forgot both title and author. Just right for a Christmas present. Tricia

Mary

Mary Report 7 Dec 2004 15:31

Thank you John will buy off Amazon. Mary

Mary

Mary Report 7 Dec 2004 15:33

Sorry 'John' meant Simon apologies my grandson just came in from school and I typed his name instead. Mary