Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Blind to information?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Heather

Heather Report 5 Dec 2004 17:03

As I have come to a brick wall at the moment, I thought I would go back to tidy up the info on my family tree and add stuff I had learnt since first producing it. I didnt have access to the 1871 census at that time, so thought Id look up an ancestor - GGM - to see if I could find her just a year after she married GGF. GGF was a mariner, so often as sea for the other census. I did find her with just a baby at an address. I thought I would have a look at the image and blow me, she was living with her mum and her sister's family. I had no idea of that. I now have another complete twig to look up info on. I have also found in the 1881 an elusive daughter of my GGM who had been mistranscribed (surprise, surprise) and is lodging with the auntie. The thing is, on the printed details on ancestry they often dont have people listed in the same way as the original image, so you really do need to look at the image to see whether there is any sort of relationship going on there.

Helen

Helen Report 5 Dec 2004 17:51

nice one Heather! Just the sort of breakthrough you need, especially when you've got brick walls on your other twigs cheers H

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 5 Dec 2004 20:27

I agree, there is nothing like looking at the original census. I had always wondered how a couple in my husband's tree had met in order to get married. When I was looking at the chap with his mother and brother on the 1871 census I suddenly noticed that his future wife was a servant in the house next door. Mystery solved!

Heather

Heather Report 5 Dec 2004 21:24

Yes, it has certainly opened my eyes to more opportunities. I notice that the sister of GGM is married to a mariner. So as my GGF was also a mariner, I guess chances are it was a blind date?? Shall have to bear this in mind in future and check out people in same house or next door to see if they are related.