Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sandbach, Switzerland!??????

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Beverley

Beverley Report 4 Dec 2004 16:11

I have ancestors registered as living in Sandbach Switzerland, any clues anyone?? Also South Bank, which I believe was in Yorkshire, anyone know which part of Yorkshire this was?? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks Bev

Louise2212

Louise2212 Report 4 Dec 2004 16:23

i always though sandbach was in cheshire :S

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Dec 2004 16:23

Sandbach is in Cheshire, Perhaps the Transcriber didn't know his cheeses.

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Dec 2004 16:25

According to my Road Atlas there are 2 South Banks in North Yorkshire. Give me a minute and I'll look them up. Jim

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Dec 2004 16:28

One is South Bank in Middlesbrough. (The South Bank of the Tees). The other is in York itself, presumably the South Bank of the river Ure?

Beverley

Beverley Report 4 Dec 2004 16:28

Thank you guys, I know it is in Cheshire, just wondering if the Switzerland bit was an old name like 'little Italy?' But maybe the transcibers mind was wondering!! Bev:)

Beverley

Beverley Report 4 Dec 2004 16:29

Thank you Grampa Jim. Bev:)

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 4 Dec 2004 16:36

If you put "South Bank" into Multimap.*co.uk you find that it's on the road between Middlesbrough and Redcar. As for Sandbach in Switzerland... Obviously our first instinct os to say it must be a mistake and they mean the one in Cheshire. However... There is an "Orsteil" (i.e. an administratively-linked village) of Lauterbrunnen (south of Interlaken up the valley towards the Jungfrau - near where the Wengen downhill ski-race is run) called Sandbach. Whether there are any more places called Sandbach in Switzerland, I don't know, but there is at least one! Christine

Beverley

Beverley Report 4 Dec 2004 16:59

Thanks Christine, thats amazing, I will now look at Sandbach in Switzerland as a possiblilty. Thanks everyone. Bev

Jack

Jack Report 4 Dec 2004 22:49

South Bank is on the south bank of the Tees near Middlesbrough and therefore in the North Riding. My dad is from there (along with Paul Daniels, the magician). Not the prettiest of places and known locally as Slaggy Island!

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Dec 2004 23:44

Sorry Jacqui, As a one time resident of Seaton Carew whose great grandmother was born in Middlesbrough I should have known better. Blame it on my Road Atlas. The AA claimed it was accurate at the turn of the century (2000)

Jools

Jools Report 5 Dec 2004 07:21

No - Sandbach definitely not in Switzerland. The county code for cheshire is CHS. the country code for Switzerland is CH. The person inputting the data onto the computer has made an error when keying. Similarly you will find several instances of places which you know are in Somerset as being in Somalia. (similar type of eror, though this time with SOM going in the wrong column)

Beverley

Beverley Report 5 Dec 2004 08:40

Thanks Jools, thought it was a bit strange, a working class family born in Switzerland then travelling to Manchester! And thanks to all of you for your help. Bev:)

Geoff

Geoff Report 5 Dec 2004 09:33

I think Jools is probably right - I have seen LEIcestershire become LIEchtenstein.

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 5 Dec 2004 11:35

Postscript. I take it that this is from Ancestry? The census itself can be bad enough when the powers that were second guessed birthplaces, but Ancestry, presumably to speed up the indexing, does not enter counties as transcribed. Otherwise, why should Bath similarly be placed in the middle of Europe, when the image clearly says Somersetshire? Brenda