Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Registration Districts

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Heather

Heather Report 4 Dec 2004 13:49

Hi, I have found who I believe is my Great Grandfather on 1837 on line. James Robert Hanson, June qtr 1860 Shoreditch 1c 109. On the 1871 census James is 10 (which fits in ok as he would have had an 11th birthday after the april census) but his place of birth is given as Shadwell. Would Shadwell come under the Shoreditch district at that time please?

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 4 Dec 2004 13:56

Hi Heather According to Genuki Shadwell comes under the Stepney registration district at that time Stepney Created 1st July 1837. In Middlesex until 1889. Sub-districts : Limehouse; Lower Mile End Old Town; Ratcliff; Shadwell; Shadwell and Ratcliffe; Upper Mile End Old Town. GRO volumes : II (1837-51); 1c (1852-1930). Holy Trinity Minories (from 1926), Limehouse, Mile End New Town (from 1926), Mile End Old Town (except 1857-1926), Norton Folgate (from 1926), Old Artillery Ground (from 1926), Old Tower Without (from 1926), Ratcliffe, St. Botolph Without Aldgate (from 1926), St. George in the East (from 1926), St. Katharine by the Tower (from 1926), Shadwell, Stepney, Spitalfields (from 1926), Tower of London (from 1926), Wapping, Whitechapel (from 1926). Registers now in Tower Hamlets district. Jeanette x

Luciacw

Luciacw Report 4 Dec 2004 13:57

Hi Heather, This is from genuki: Stepney Created 1st July 1837. In Middlesex until 1889. Sub-districts : Limehouse; Lower Mile End Old Town; Ratcliff; Shadwell; Shadwell and Ratcliffe; Upper Mile End Old Town. GRO volumes : II (1837-51); 1c (1852-1930). Holy Trinity Minories (from 1926), Limehouse, Mile End New Town (from 1926), Mile End Old Town (except 1857-1926), Norton Folgate (from 1926), Old Artillery Ground (from 1926), Old Tower Without (from 1926), Ratcliffe, St. Botolph Without Aldgate (from 1926), St. George in the East (from 1926), St. Katharine by the Tower (from 1926), SHADWELL, Stepney, Spitalfields (from 1926), Tower of London (from 1926), Wapping, Whitechapel (from 1926). Lucia

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 4 Dec 2004 13:58

Snap Lucia! lol

Heather

Heather Report 4 Dec 2004 14:00

Many thanks guys. Oh, well I suppose I will have to spend the seven quid to find out if it is great grandad. Thing is I am dubious that the woman shown on the 1881 census as wife of his dad is the mother of the two eldest boys. She would have to have been 15 or 16 to have had the eldest one!! Also there is a gap of 5 years between the second child and the third (when she would have been a more reasonable 21 year old). She is shown as "housekeeper" on the 1871. The head is shown as married but no wife on the census. Mystery. I cant find a marriage to a previous wife or to this "housekeeper". Nor can I find a death for the period in between the two eldest kids and the next lot.

Stephen

Stephen Report 4 Dec 2004 14:02

Well possibly not, but don't forget that the district of Registration is not necessarily the district of birth. Shoreditch covered Haggerston, Holywell, Hoxton and St. Leonard. Shadwell came under the district of Stepney I think. However as I say he might have been born in Shadwell, but the birth registered a couple of miles to the north in Shoreditch district. If there's no better match in Stepney or Whitechapel, and presuming you know his father's name you might want to risk your £7. Good luck.

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 4 Dec 2004 14:33

Hi Heather In my own family and also whilst transcribing I have come across wives described as housekeepers/lodging housekeepers. Could she have actually started out as housekeeper? Perhaps there was a first wife who was mother to the two boys. Then perhaps after the wifes death she married the head of the household becoming the boys step mother. Jeanette x

Heather

Heather Report 4 Dec 2004 14:49

Yes, thats what I am beginning to think. I cant see that a man 11 years older and in a good profession would have had a 15 year old as mother to his first son??? And then the 5 year gap between my great grandad and the next child, which is a girl and has the name of the "housekeeper". Mm, wish I could find a marriage though to the first wife and a death. Or even a marriage to the housekeeper. Oh well, here goes another 7 quid. Good job hubby thinks these certs are out of the goodness of the GRO's hearts!! Especially as I spent £120 yesterday on our 16 year old Jack Russell at the vets and told him it was £40!! Oh dear, this hobby is making me very devious.