Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriage certificate?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jude 3

Jude 3 Report 3 Dec 2004 22:16

Are marriages cross referenced ?, I have found a marriage which i think is the right one, but should it come up on civil registration ( ancestry) under both names? I'm confused - doesn't take much! Judy

Jude 3

Jude 3 Report 3 Dec 2004 22:53

nudge

Patricia

Patricia Report 3 Dec 2004 22:54

Hi What are the names of the people of the marriage and what date?? Trish

Jude 3

Jude 3 Report 3 Dec 2004 23:01

Hi patricia i have been discussing this with Heather horstead dixon - re her marriage of Phoebe Pearce 1882 sept 1/4 hackney v1b pg 913 to James hanson. Mine is George Hillyer 1841 marr to Eliza Hall in Woverton , bucks. judy

Patricia

Patricia Report 3 Dec 2004 23:05

Hi Judith Are you certain about Eliza having the surname Hall? What have you already found on ancestry - just so I don't look where you have already looked. Trish

Jude 3

Jude 3 Report 3 Dec 2004 23:36

hi patricia positive about eliza - they are my g.g. grandparents, have them on 1851 census ( they were living with eliza's parents charles and mary hall in wolverton. ) - I have sent for a marriage certificate that i found on 1837 under eliza hall - but gro have sent me a 4 pound refund - awaiting explanation. went into ancestry and found george hillyer marriage on civil registration for 1841 - but couldn't find eliza anywhere. I haven't as yet looked for him on 1837 as I have to pay another 5 pounds and wanted to wait until i had a few things to look up and do them together. judy

Geoff

Geoff Report 3 Dec 2004 23:44

The list on Ancestry is the same as (or a bit behind) FreeBMD and is not complete unless you find 8 names (4 men + 4 women) on the page.

Patricia

Patricia Report 4 Dec 2004 11:52

Hi I looked under marriages for George Hillyer in Buckinghamshire and checked alternate spellings. The only results which match are as follows. There are 8 listings for 1941 and one of the women is called Eliza Wilson - you can't find out which one he married without the certificate. Name Year Quarter District County Volume Page BAKER, Mary 1841 June Buckingham Buckinghamshire Oxfordshire 6 507 Hillier, George 1841 June Buckingham Buckinghamshire Oxfordshire 6 507 REED, George Varenna 1841 June Buckingham Buckinghamshire Oxfordshire 6 507 Ridgway, Elizabeth 1841 June Buckingham Buckinghamshire Oxfordshire 6 507 Ridgway, Thomas 1841 June Buckingham Buckinghamshire Oxfordshire 6 507 SMITH, Mary Worley 1841 June Buckingham Buckinghamshire Oxfordshire 6 507 SPICER, James 1841 June Buckingham Buckinghamshire Oxfordshire 6 507 WILSON, Eliza 1841 June Buckingham Buckinghamshire Oxfordshire 6 507 Name Year Quarter District County Volume Page There is only 1 listing for 1840 and no wife listed so the transcription is incomplete or incorrect. HYLLIER, George 1840 September Potterspury Buckinghamshire Northamptonshire 15 481 Trish

Wendy

Wendy Report 4 Dec 2004 12:03

Could Eliza have been married before? She could have been Eliza Hall [maiden name] but married under the name of her first husband? Wendy

Deborah

Deborah Report 4 Dec 2004 12:37

Hi Judith, If you use 1837 online, (or manually at the library or RO) you can check for Elizabeth Hall in the year you're looking for, and then see if the corresponding entry is there for George. The GRO indexes are the only way of checking when Freebmd is not complete. Debbie

Irene

Irene Report 4 Dec 2004 13:25

This sounds a bit like my William Harwood who married Eliza Blake, looked for ages for their marriage but was unable to find Eliza Blake. A chance find of her parents (I wasn't sure it was them) in Winchester where William and Eliza ended up lead me to search for their marriage in Winchester, I did find one for William but Eliza was still missing. In the End I sent for the certificate and would you believe it her name was Churcher which was her mothers maiden name, she was born 2 months before her parents married. On the marriage certificate her father was named as James Blake which was the couple (her parents) I found in Winchester. Hope this gives you all a few ideas the different things that come up when looking for a certificate. Another was a cousin of my granddad, I have only just found his birth certificate he was born before his parents marriage so was under his mothers name, but I was unsure of her name as this was in between the censuses and she died a few years later, granddad's uncle ended up marrying 4 times. Irene

Jude 3

Jude 3 Report 8 Dec 2004 06:32

thank you everyone for your messages. I appreciate your advice and time. I'll keep ploughing on. It looks like I'll have to take a chance and send for George's marriage certifcate and hope its the right one. judy