Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

parish records on cd by Ancestry.com

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rider9

Rider9 Report 3 Dec 2004 17:45

Are the records on these cds, which you can buy on Ebay, the same as the information you are able to access once you subscribe to Ancestry.co.uk? Just wondering if it is a waste of money to buy such cds, now that I am subscribed to Ancestry... Tyne

Ken

Ken Report 3 Dec 2004 18:25

Hang fire, I'm waiting delivery of something along those lines. Give me a shout in a week or two when I have chance to get my head round it.

Rider9

Rider9 Report 4 Dec 2004 07:19

hi, thanks for replying... I was going to bid on one ending this weekend! Just thought I would check on here what people thought.. the cd on sale has just the locations I need but I wasn't sure if it was duplicating (or maybe making it easier to find them) what I already have..... mmm.. decisions decisions!

Irene

Irene Report 4 Dec 2004 09:22

In my opinion don't buy, you can get a lot of information from the IGI or family search and as it's being added to all the time its getting better. Don't forget Hugh Wallis batch numbers to look in a parish by surname. Even if it was copies of the parish records you would still need to check the orignal yourself to verify the information. Irene

Rider9

Rider9 Report 4 Dec 2004 09:45

thanks for that - I have looked at the IGI and the other sites and come up with possible folk that are mine, but because they insist on using common names like John and George, I have no idea if they are the right ones or not! I wondered if the PRs on the cds might give me more information - but didnt want to buy them if I can get that info from Ancestry site as I am subscribed. Although I must say, the searches I do on Ancestry don't seem to be able to be narrowed enough - I keep getting hundreds of results - some with no obvious link to what I put in the search box!

Rider9

Rider9 Report 4 Dec 2004 13:07

I thought PRs were on because it says 'UK and Ireland Parish and Probate Records' Am I getting it wrong? If I am, maybe I need to buy the cd after all...

Deborah

Deborah Report 4 Dec 2004 13:25

Hi Tyne, Yes, some parish records are on Ancestry. They tend to be very early ones though 1600/1700's. If you are concentrating a large a mount of research in one area, I personally think buying the discs is worth it! I have purchased some. Alternatively many of the FHS's have searches available. You can narrow your search within the IGI on the LDS site, by selecting the IGI search (not general search) and manually key in the batch numbers (from Hugh Wallis' site). This way you will only get names in the parish you want. Debbie

Rider9

Rider9 Report 4 Dec 2004 13:45

many thanks Debbie and everyone.... I think I will try and win the cd I was thinking of. All the best Tyne