Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Any Tips for visiting Family Records Ctr/London Me

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ellie

Ellie Report 3 Dec 2004 16:33

Hi There I am planning a visit to the Family Records Centre and the London Metropolitan Archives on Monday and wondered if anyone has any tips on what I should arm myself with before I go or easy ways to search once I'm there? Also, does anyone know whether these just cover London, as I also have relatives from Wales and the Isle of Wight that I'd like to look up. Thank you in advance. Ellie Gill.

Naomi in SW

Naomi in SW Report 3 Dec 2004 16:45

Hi Eleanor, They cover the whole of the UK except for Scotland. At the National archives, you can't take a pencil with a rubber on the end or a sharpener. Also no ink pens of any kind. They even made me put my hair clip in rather than carry it. They also provide clear carrier bags to make sure you don't nick anything! Just make sure you have written down precisely every thing you want to look at. It's time consuming stuff and you'll probably find you wont have enough time to look at everything you wanted to! lol Good luck Naomi x

Lesley M

Lesley M Report 3 Dec 2004 16:51

Allow yourself plenty of time, as it's surprising how long it can take to find anything. Also, it's a good idea to prepare a list of exactly what you want to find, and if possible, prioritise it so that you don't leave the most important ones till last and then run out of time. If you're looking at BMD indexes at the FRC, you might want to list the ones you're looking for in date order so that you can work through the index books in a logical order, not keep going backwards and forwards. Remember to take pencils with you, wear comfortable shoes, and most importantly.......enjoy yourself!!! Good luck.

Darryl

Darryl Report 3 Dec 2004 17:40

Nothing to do with the archives, but if you need a break from all the books and microfilms, its worth taking a wander down Exmouth Market - lots of interesting small shops and restaurants, plus Metropolitan Books, one of London's best independent book stores. Can't think you will want to waste a minute, though, once you're inside the archives! Enjoy and good luck, DMcC

Darryl

Darryl Report 3 Dec 2004 17:45

PS Another thought about the LMA - the parish register files are grouped according to the modern London boroughs, so its worth working out before you go how the places where your ancestors lived relate to London's map as it is today - for example, Bermondsey is in modern day Southwark and Limehouse is in Tower Hamlets. Remember London street names often changed over the years - there is a handy reference book you can request at the information desk which marries up old names with new ones. Once again, the staff are extremely helpful. DMcC

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 3 Dec 2004 18:43

One day isn't long enough, so don't be disappointed if you don't find out as much as you wanted to. The FRC has all sorts of finding aids and should have indexes to the IOW in 1851 and 1891, as well as various bits of London in 1851 and 1871. There are also street indexes for all major towns, which can cut down time searching through censuses. If you want to order certificates in person and haven't done so already, check freebmd indexes and/or 1837online. If you are visiting both places, decide in advance what is most important to you and set a strict time limit on when you leave one to visit the other. You can buy sandwiches at the FRC only, drinks at both places. It's probably better to take food with you, just to save time. Remember that the records will still be there the next time you go and make a note of what you've looked at, even if you found nothing. Above all, enjoy yourself. Brenda

Amanda,

Amanda, Report 3 Dec 2004 19:46

Hi Ellie, I have only been to the FRC. I think the idea of a list of what is most important is a good idea. I've been a few times to check a census, but I have been unlucky, as someone was already using it each time I went. It can take a long time to search a census if you only know the area they are in and there is no index for it. I tend to use 1837online instead of the FRC as I prefer to do stuff while there that I can't do at home. Have a great day Best wishes Amanda