Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Surname confusion!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karen

Karen Report 3 Dec 2004 13:42

My GGG Grandparents were born in Belgium and called PETRY. They came over to the UK late 1800's and had a son Charles PETRY (born London 1898) who went on to have 5 children who were all registered as LEMAIRE (my ggg grandmothers maiden name) One of these children is my grandfather who is registered as Maurice Lemaire. His fathers details on his birth cert are Charles LEMAIRE. Why have they done this??? All 5 children were registered as LEMAIRE!! When Charles got married he was called PETRY and then he called his children LEMAIRE. Has anyone else seen anything like this?? Has anyone any ideas why this would have happened? I can understand one mistake but not 5 !!!!! Kx

Dwaffy

Dwaffy Report 3 Dec 2004 14:02

Our system of fixed name, middle name(s) and surname does not apply in other cultures. If you google on 'naming patterns' or 'patronymics' you will see how complicated things can become once you venture through the chunnel. dave

Karen

Karen Report 3 Dec 2004 14:09

David, I forgot to mention that Charles and his children were all born and registered in the UK ( I have updated message accordingly!!) do you think that 'thier way' would still apply over here???

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 3 Dec 2004 23:48

A great and grand, very distant, relative of mine inherited an estate. She was married, but applied to the House of Lords for permission for the family to change their name to her maiden name, and to acknowledge her as the Heir of the Estate. This was granted, and she then applied to the College of Heralds for permission to use the family coat of arms as she was the last of the line. This was also granted. So in other words, she changed her surname because of an inheritance. I have a friend who changed his name to that of his wife's because her father was a wealthy man and had only female heirs - my friend and his wife copped the lot! Finally, I dont think its unusual for foreigners coming to this country to carry on their traditional ways of giving surnames, which as someone else has pointed out, arent necessarily the same traditions as ours. I know that in Finland, children have always taken their mother's name - bet their family searches are interesting!