Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Website for death certificate terms?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Is it a bird? is it a plane?

Is it a bird? is it a plane? Report 3 Dec 2004 10:17

Does anyone know of a website that lists some of the explanations of the causes of death given on death certificates? I tried looking up one of the 2 causes of death for my great-great grandfather and it was very different from the 2nd cause of death. I'm wondering if they were both symptoms of an overall condition?

Is it a bird? is it a plane? Report 3 Dec 2004 10:19

The two causes of death given were 1) Chronic nephritis? (hard to read) 2) Dilation of the heart I know the first one is a kidney/unrinary disorder I think!

Is it a bird? is it a plane? Report 3 Dec 2004 10:59

Thanks Lyla! That really is a great website. Do you reckon dilation of heart means heart attack?

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 3 Dec 2004 16:10

Another good site is www.antiquusmorbus.com Liz

Paul

Paul Report 3 Dec 2004 17:19

Dilation of the heart could mean enlargement of the heart, through disease etc. Paul

Victoria

Victoria Report 4 Dec 2004 06:28

Hi, In my nurses dictionary......chronic...of long duration (had it for sometime) nephritis....inflammation of the kidney (kidney disease) Dilation of the heart......dilating or stretching. Stretched beyond normal limits.. Compensatory enlargement of the cavities of the heart , thinning of the walls. The heart not working properly...heart disease. Hope that helps explain Victoria

Is it a bird? is it a plane? Report 4 Dec 2004 09:31

Thank you Elizabeth, Paul and Victoria. Its all been a great help! Am ordering some more death certificates today so when they arrive those websites will be invaluable

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 4 Dec 2004 09:56

I think death certificates state not only the cause of death but if there is a postmortem any further diseases that are found. On my grandmother's death certificate it states; 1) Broncho pneumonia 2)Cancer The pneumonia carried her off but the cancer was also there. At the time it was a source of comfort as my grandmother always said that although she had cancer for a great many years there was no way she would let it kill her off.