Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1837online.com help??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~Summer Scribe~

~Summer Scribe~ Report 2 Dec 2004 20:35

so, I decided that instead of relying on the kindness of others that I would subscribe myself and duely purchased some credits. The problem is... I decided to try it out by searching for some knowns before searching unknowns... like my parents and my siblings. Now... it says that the bmd index for england is complete yet none of the things I've tried have been listed. Am I doing something wrong? is there a special knack to using it? Thanks, Liz

Sheila

Sheila Report 2 Dec 2004 20:39

Hi Liz, Have you tried looking in the next quarter sometimes when births are near the end of a month they are registered in the following quarter its no always precise. Sheila

~Summer Scribe~

~Summer Scribe~ Report 2 Dec 2004 20:45

I've been giving a years margin. on one I searched a 5 year period in order to cover both my brothers but neither showed up. Either my family don't exist (unlikely as I have seen copies of birth certs), they are missing lots of info off the site, or I'm doing something wrong with how I'm searching :S A confuzzled thanks, Liz

Sam

Sam Report 2 Dec 2004 20:53

Hi Liz I think there are odd bits missing here and there but on the whole it is complete. It would be very unusual for you not to find any of your family, I know I have checked for my birth along with my brother and parents and have found them all. I'm not sure what exactly but it seems possible that you are doing something wrong. You are searching for events that took placxe in England or Wales I assume? Sam

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 2 Dec 2004 20:54

Are you sure you are making sure 'birth' is in the box when looking for a birth, and 'marriage' when looking for a marriage and so on. When I first started to use the site I left it on birth for everything I was searching for and therefore didn't find the marriages and deaths I was looking up. Kath. x

Anne

Anne Report 2 Dec 2004 20:55

I think I've seen it mentioned before that you can search in 'deaths' or 'marriages' by mistake when looking for births? Or vice versa I expect. I know I've done the same thing on other searches and then thought - Doohhhh! Anne

Hawthorn

Hawthorn Report 2 Dec 2004 20:56

Liz - I would contact them. I had a few problems looking for a particular surname and waisted a lot of credits . . . . they refunded 100 units to me.

~Summer Scribe~

~Summer Scribe~ Report 2 Dec 2004 21:00

I was being stupid, I've worked it out now. Thank you all :) Liz