Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Father on Marriage Cert

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tillot

Tillot Report 2 Dec 2004 18:02

Today I've obtained my great great grandfather's marriage cert. His father's name on it has confirmed what I thought, so I'm pleased! Wilfred Fern married on 23rd Feb 1886 but I've just discovered his father (Christopher Fern) actually died in December Quarter, 1885. Why doesn't it say 'deceased' by his name on the marriage cert? Is this common? I'm convinced the death I've found is correct as it all fits with age, area etc. Many Thanks

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Dec 2004 18:11

Registrars only wrote down the information they were given - so if the bride or groom were asked their father's name, they would reply 'Fred Bloggs' but not think to say he was dead unless they were specifically asked! I have the situation in reverse where my grandfather gave his father as 'Fred Bloggs deceased' when in fact he was illegitimate and didn't know who his father was (obviously lied to prevent embarassment). Mandy :)

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 2 Dec 2004 18:12

This has been raised more than once. I don't think the registrars did any forensic checking of info given to them, and if the bride/groom was only asked "what's your father's name" and not "and is he still alive", the registrar may not have been told other of the demise of the father. Christine

Tillot

Tillot Report 2 Dec 2004 18:17

Thanks Mandy & Christine. You gave the answers I was hoping for! Mandy - my great great grandfather was illigetimate and he put down his grandfather as his father. They do like to confuse us don't they? Many Thanks!

Heather

Heather Report 2 Dec 2004 19:06

Hi, my Great Grandad's marriage cert gave his dads name and occupation - no mention that he had died 2 years earlier.

Benjamin

Benjamin Report 2 Dec 2004 20:42

My ggg grandfather put his older brothers name down as his father on his 1856 marriage cert, yet his father's occupation, which was coachman, whereas his brother was a printer. His father was just George Coombs, yet his brother was Matthew George Coombs and he himself married 11 years before and put just George Coombs as his father on his marriage cert, yet on all other records I have so far found on George, there is no mention his name was really Matthew George.

Tillot

Tillot Report 2 Dec 2004 20:49

Thanks everyone, for sharing your own experiences. It's great to know we're all in this together, sharing the same puzzles and mysteries!

Wendy

Wendy Report 3 Dec 2004 00:04

Do not trust certificates! I have the 1861 census entry for my great great grandparents Samuel and Mary Jackson living in a small village in Shropshire with son William[my great grandfather]. I have the death cert for Mary Jackson "wife of Samuel" 1867 registered by William and buried in nearby Hengoed. The burial register gives the 1861 address, but she is named as a widow. There is no death or burial record for Samuel between 1861 and 1867. His death is actually recorded in 1887 in Coundon Bishop Auckland, again by his son William who I know had moved there. The "widow" on the cert was a mistake! Wendy