Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

death in WW1

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Bluesavannah

Bluesavannah Report 2 Dec 2004 17:59

i have found what i i think is my great great grandfathers death on the war graves site in 1917 in france. It matches all that i know of his death. Does anyone know what i could do to find out if it is definately him? Regards, Claire

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Dec 2004 18:05

When I found a relative in the same way, I clicked on his name to find his next of kin. As well as her (his widow) they had also named his parents, which was a great help in making the correct match. Good luck. Mandy :)

Peter

Peter Report 2 Dec 2004 18:12

If the above dose not work try for his army records. They will give you the info you need

Bluesavannah

Bluesavannah Report 2 Dec 2004 18:12

Hi both, I did click on the name but it hasnt given me any personal info about him. Its given me the full date he died, where he is burried and what battle he died in but that is it. Claire

Bluesavannah

Bluesavannah Report 2 Dec 2004 18:13

Peter, how do i try for his army records? Claire

Peter

Peter Report 2 Dec 2004 18:16

I worked through BBC WW2 Peoples war. I know yours is WW1 but the Address will be the same. If not go through Kew

Bluesavannah

Bluesavannah Report 2 Dec 2004 18:25

Thanks for that Peter. Regards, Claire

Sheila

Sheila Report 2 Dec 2004 22:07

Hi Clare. Try the Great War Forum website, lots of help there on all kinds of subjects to do with the first WW, and very knowlegable people. Good luck Sheila.

BarneyKent

BarneyKent Report 4 Dec 2004 10:51

Hi Claire, Try contacting the Commonwealth War Graves Commission direct. Address: 2 Marlow Rd, Maidenhead, Berks. SL6 7DX. Telephone 01628 634221. Tell them the details you already know of your relative and they should be able to identify hm and give you more information about him from the Official List of Soldiers Killed in World War One. I did this some years ago and they told me my grandfather's Rank, Regiment, Service Number, Place of Birth, Place of Enlistment and Date and Place of Death. That should tell you if it is the person you are looking for. Hope this helps.