Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Getting Certificates ??????

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Helen

Helen Report 1 Dec 2004 22:52

When all I know is that my Grandfather died in 1946 and the town how can I get Birth Marriage and Death certificates. When I find people with ( seemingly ) the right names and ages how can I be sure that they are my ancestors?

Heather

Heather Report 1 Dec 2004 22:55

Firstly, you will have to get a reference for your Grandads death - on 1837 online you have to pay £5 for 55 credits to look up references - you may find some kind person will do a look up on records board for you. Once you have that ref you can go to the GRO website and order the cert for £7. Re people seemingly being your ancestors. Not sure what you mean by this - if you work backwards through census and marriage certs and birth certs and parish records etc. you will be able to confirm they are yours.

Sam

Sam Report 1 Dec 2004 22:57

You need to start by getting his death certificate. Look the death up in the GRO indexes, either by visiting a records office/library or online at www.1837online(.)com - this is a pay per view site so if you have no credits, post the details and request a lookup. This will provide you with the district, volume and page number that you need to order the certificate. This costs you £7 but will give the age at death so will enable you to start looking for the birth, you can then get the birth certificate and this will tell you the parents names. Hopefully by then you will be able to find the family on the 1901 census. The death cert will also give details of the informant so could give clues to another family member. Sam