Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can anyone help?? Court/military records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janine

Janine Report 1 Dec 2004 14:36

Hi everyone, I am relatively new to these boards but have found them very helpful. I am trying to answer a question that has arisen regarding my great uncle. He was born in 1893 and was served notice to enlist with the Grenadier Guards in 1913. My question is, why was he ordered to enlist when there was no threat of War. The Guards Museum can give no explanation and I was wondering if maybe he had been found guilty of a crime at some point and was given the option of a prison sentence or a stint with the Army. Does anyone have any ideas?????? Thanks.....Janine

Peter

Peter Report 1 Dec 2004 14:48

I think the date is a clue here It was just be for the 1WW, And the events leading up to it where well under way. Wether it was a court order or he might of been in the equiivalent to the TA. getting the army up to strength would of been well under way, and orders were issued when and were ever pos?

Ian

Ian Report 1 Dec 2004 21:02

Janine, The answer would probably be with his army service record, if it still exists. If he was enrolled before WW1 then they might do. It would take a visit to Kew to check for them. Maybe he was in the TA and was called to serve. But I think in 1913 there was no call for mobilisation. That came at the outbreak of WW1 in 1914. Are you certain of the year 1913? Is it perhaps a mistranscription for say 1918, when he may well have been conscripted? Have you seen his medal entitlement (presuming he served in WW1) on the NA medal index? Ian

Janine

Janine Report 2 Dec 2004 09:31

Thankfully, my great uncle was a Grenadier Guard so I was able to obtain a copy of his enlistment papers and service record without the trip to Kew. He was served notice to enlist with the Guards and did so on the 8th of April 1913. He was signed up for a short service which meant 3 years with the Guards and then 6 years in the Reserves. Unfortunately, he was killed in action on November 7th 1914 so was never able to see the UK again. It is a mystery to both myself and the Guards museum who can offer no explanation other than the fact that he may have taken the Army option as an alternative to a prison term. If this is the case, where can I go to check court records for this time period? Thanks for the advice Janine