Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Lost in 1906 San Francisco Earthquake

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Louise

Louise Report 1 Dec 2004 13:31

We believe that one of my ancestors died in the 1906 earthquake. He was definitely in the USA at that time and I have an old letter from his nephew mentioning his demise. Has anyone else lost a relative this way? I guess records are a mess after such a catastrophe but is there a way to check it out? I've emailed the San Fran museum but no reply yet. Louise

Roy

Roy Report 1 Dec 2004 16:33

I just looked this passage up on Google, doesn't bode well for your search. The total number of bodies recovered and buried up to Sun-day night was 500. No complete record can ever be obtained as many bodies were buried without permits from the coroner and the board of health. Whenever a body was found it was buried immediately without any formality whatever and, as these burials were made at widely separated parts of the city by different bodies of searchers, who did not even make a prompt report to headquarters, considerable confusion resulted in estimating the number of casual-ties and exaggerated reports resulted