Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

RE: deaths underground, body not recovered

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Angela

Angela Report 1 Dec 2004 12:34

Can anyone tell me if a death cert would be issued in the case of a death where the body was buried in a mining accident & never recovered ? Many thanks Angie

Zoe

Zoe Report 1 Dec 2004 13:23

In theory I'd say yes. They'd probably hold a coroners inquest to estalish the facts of what the accident involve and decide. There is a National Coalmining Museum who may be able to answer a general question or point you in the direction of where to find out more details about the accident www.ncm.org.uk

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Dec 2004 18:13

I'd say yes as without proof of death his widow/next of kin would be unable to claim any insurance/money/support/inheritance. nell

Denise

Denise Report 1 Dec 2004 22:09

Most of my family and Ancestors were coal miners, and this is what my old friend of 75 plus years said (who used to be the mines rescue team) "yes a certificate would be issued because they would know the names of the people who went down the mine and so know who was killed, to not recover a body the cause would perhaps be an explosion caused by a buildup of gas, fire, in which case the roadway would be sealed off to stop the air. today if this happened they would have to wait a while untill safe before the mines rescue team was sent in" he also said he,d never heard of a death certificate no being issued.

Angela

Angela Report 1 Dec 2004 22:33

Thank you all for your very helpful replies, all very much appreciated. My ggg grandad was apparently the only person killed in this particular incident in 1883 or 1886, I'm trying to find more info and get the exact date that it occurred. I've looked on lots of coalmines sites including the one which lists deaths in coalmines for the time period when my relative died and found 3 men of the same name but all the wrong age at death. best wishes Angie