Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What was the infant mortality rate in the 1850s ??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Dec 2004 09:58

Could anyone tell me roughly what the infant mortality rate was in the 1850s and what would be the main cause of death in children?? Clare.xx

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 1 Dec 2004 10:16

Have a look at the Vision of Britain website. This link should take you to a chart showing infant mortality from 1850 to 2001: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/themesub.jsp?u_id=10061325&data_theme=T_VITAL&id=0 (of course the above should all be on one line - best to copy & paste into your browser address window) From this chart, it would seem that the rate was about 155 deaths per thousand live births in 1851, and has dropped to about 5 per 1000 in 2001. It's a great site, worth exploring... Richard

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 1 Dec 2004 10:31

Claire be aware though that the above relate to infants. About 50% of the population died before reaching age five! The average lifespan in these times was about 30! So don't be surprised if you can't find young people from one census to the other. Bob

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Dec 2004 11:09

Thank you to both of you. I'm trying to write up my mums family tree for her and I want to explain about the social conditions and how children died very young and why some families had 3 0r 4 children with the same name. Thanks again Clare.xx

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 1 Dec 2004 11:16

Claire I found this site some time ago http://www.geocities(.)com/victorianlace12/innocence.html There is a lot on it about victorian times, worth a look. (mainly from a femanine view) Bob