Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where to now?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Anne

Anne Report 30 Nov 2004 16:25

Got the birth cert I was waiting for today - it has given me the parents names I was looking for - Nathan Shore and Kate Rabinovitch who had a child born Mile End 1916. No sign of them anywhere!! Nothing on 1901 census, nothing on freebmd, nothing on ancestry, checked back to 1911 for marriage (tho may go further back when I can afford it) - I am beginning to think they must be immigrants who were married before they got here. Is there anywhere else I can check? Does anywhere list immigrants - I am assuming from Eastern Europe or Russia. Any help gratefully received! Anne

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Nov 2004 16:44

Firstly, is Rabinovitch given as a maiden name, or Kate's name at the birth - to save looking for a non-existent marriage. Secondly, they may be mistranscribed on the 1901 census - virtually all my relatives were! Rabinovitch could be for example Babinovitch/Babinovich/Rabbinovich etc. Thirdly, Ancestry civil reg and FreeBMD are the same, and the coverage of 20th century is not very great at the moment. You'd need to check the GRO indexes before assuming they were immigrants. Rabinovitch does sound East European - possibly Jewish, and the National Archives has some info on Jewish immigration. I know there were a lot of Jewish immigrants particularly in Mile End & environs. But Shore doesn't, unless its an angicised version. nell

Anne

Anne Report 30 Nov 2004 16:59

Ah, didn't think of the non-existant marriage - will check that again. (Cert at home - me skivving at work!) I have done some variant spellings - will do more! They were def Jewish as my aunt was Jewish - or at least Kate was. Thanks for that, will check National Archives. Anne

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Nov 2004 17:04

This is the link you need: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/familyhistory/migration/jewish.htm nell

Louise2212

Louise2212 Report 30 Nov 2004 17:12

found marriage in dec quarter 1895 Robenovitch Kate Mile End 1c 909 no sign of nathen - but freebmd is not fully transcribed

Louise2212

Louise2212 Report 30 Nov 2004 17:27

found thsi this but in september quatrer 1892 SHOR Nathan Mile End 1c 797

Anne

Anne Report 30 Nov 2004 18:17

That is absolutely WONDERFUL!! Thanks so much Louise and Nell - very much appreciated. Anne

Anne

Anne Report 30 Nov 2004 23:32

JUST FOUND THEM!! Did the spelling trick and found Kate on the 1901 census and guess who was living next door - Nathan - he spelt his name differently then though. Why does this always happen at 11.30 at night??! Anne

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Nov 2004 23:39

Anne Fabulous news! Well done. I've just had a breakthrough via a kind looker-upper on the Records board, so a successful night all round. Must go to bed now! nell