Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

LDS, FHS and IGI ???

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karen

Karen Report 30 Nov 2004 14:55

i know theyre going to be obvious but tell me please!

Heather

Heather Report 30 Nov 2004 15:03

IGI is the International Genealogical Index, you will find that on the LDS site (Latterday Saints) and FHS is Family History Society. Heather

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 30 Nov 2004 15:03

(Church of the) Latter Day Saints - Mormons Family History Societies International Genealogical Index - found on the LDS family search website Brenda

Zoe

Zoe Report 30 Nov 2004 15:03

Latter Day Saints (also known as Mormons Church) they run the familysearch website Family history society International Genalogical Index (available on the LDS)

Zoe

Zoe Report 30 Nov 2004 15:04

oooh - brenda -we've got an echo

Karen

Karen Report 30 Nov 2004 15:07

sometimes it hurts to think..........thanks

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 30 Nov 2004 15:07

Such a comfort that we're all saying the same thing! Brenda

Seasons

Seasons Report 30 Nov 2004 20:02

FHC - Family History Centre (Local Mormon Family History Centre) where you can go and look at what records they have ie local records and bdm's. If you go to the familysearch site you can look at the catalogue and when you go to the FHC order the records in - usually takes a couple of weeks if available - cost about £2.70 per film much less for fiches. I believe fiches stay at the centre so you might find places you're researching in the drawer but the films are returned. When I went I found someone researching some place in Scotland and so we were able to share films/fiches/information. Also FHC have free access to Ancestry but you usually have to book for readers and computer - though sometimes its not necessary.

Clare

Clare Report 30 Nov 2004 20:40

The IGI is available online at www.familysearch.org, you can also access the 1881 census for the UK at this site.

Peter

Peter Report 30 Nov 2004 20:48

Long day searching LDS F***ing Hard search FHS I'v gone insaine IGI

Natalie

Natalie Report 30 Nov 2004 23:20

Yes, Peter, I go with your version! Natalie