Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

THE PAGE CANNOT BE FOUND (GR)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gordon

Gordon Report 30 Nov 2004 08:42

I HAVE TWICE IN THE LAST TWO DAYS REPLIED TO A MESSAGE PROVIDING INFO TO MEMBERS BUT WHEN i CLICK ON SEND A MESSAGE APPEARS QUOTE "PAGE CANNOT BE FOUND" THIS IS SO ANNOYING AND SUCH A WASTE OF TIME WHEN YOU HAVE TO RETYPE EVERYTHING AGAIN. hAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM OR IS IT JUST ME. aNY ADVICE MUCH APPRECIATED. GORDON

Gordon

Gordon Report 30 Nov 2004 09:15

Second attempt at repyling. I had just replied to say thank you clicked on add message and had the same problem. I wonder how many just give up? Anyway thank you Karen at least now I know it isn't just me. Gordon

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 30 Nov 2004 09:37

If you've just typed a long message, it's always a good idea to copy it to the clipboard before you click on the "Add message" button (to copy to clipboard: select all text, right-click and select copy). That way, you can always re-paste the message if the submit attempt fails - saves retyping it all. I learnt this through bitter experience, as the same thing happened to me on a few occasions!

Gordon

Gordon Report 30 Nov 2004 10:08

Thanks for the tip Richard I shall certainly do that next time, I wonder why it happens though perhaps GR could look into it! Gordon

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 30 Nov 2004 10:14

Hi Gordon Have you emptied your cookies and temporary internet files lately? For instructions have a look at Judy in the States Routine PC Maintenance thread Jeanette x

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 30 Nov 2004 10:41

I think that it's got more to do with either a slow internet connection or when the GR site is busy (or both). Your PC sends the data and then waits for a response from the GR server to let it know that the data has been received. It only waits for a certain time, after which you get a "time-out", resulting in the "page cannot be displayed" error. You can try clicking on the "back" button on your browser, which may restore your message, but if this doesn't work then the only option is to re-enter the message. Emptying your temporary internet files folder will actually slow down the next time you download the page, as all the logos, etc will then have to download again (i.e. all the graphics that accompany the page). Likewise, if a site uses cookies and you have deleted the relevant cookie on your PC, it will simply download another one in its place.

Gordon

Gordon Report 30 Nov 2004 16:37

Hi Folks Firstly it only happens on this site. Re removing cookies I do this weekly or to be precise my son does it for me. While he does this without complaint to ask him a simple question like I have just asked you seems to irritate him. All his friends are computer whiz kids and they only seem to have time to create web sites certainly no time for mundane questions I seem to ask. So I am always grateful for the support from you lovely people here. Thank you all it really is appreciated. Gordon

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Nov 2004 16:46

You don't have to retype it - just click the back button again until you find it. But I agree it is extremely annoying. nell It's just done it twice while I was trying to send this - no rhyme or reason, as sometimes it works perfectly first go!

Andy

Andy Report 30 Nov 2004 17:21

I have a fast broadband connection and only get this problem on this site. I think the GC servers lack capacity and it's high time GC took ownership of the problem rather than just fob us off!

Gordon

Gordon Report 1 Dec 2004 08:40

I think I may have sussed out the problem. I have found on the google search were it shows all the GR/GC sites that if I choose the top one SURNAMES I no longer have a problem. Gordon