Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birmingham, Warwick?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Giles

Giles Report 27 Nov 2004 14:19

According to the 1881 census, my g. g. g. grandmother was born 1824, in Birmingham, Warwick, England!? I thought Birmingham itself was a main city, so could somebody please explain?

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 27 Nov 2004 14:21

Towns that fit under Birmingham today used to come under Warwick or Stafford. I have family from Tipton, now in West Brom, that were from Staffordshire.

Giles

Giles Report 27 Nov 2004 14:23

Thanks!!!

Pat

Pat Report 27 Nov 2004 14:34

I get very confused with Staffordshire, Warwickshire, Shropshire and Worcestershire as nearly all my lot came these area, one minute a place is in Warwickshire next it gets swallowed up by Staffs, I have been reading all about the Growth of Birmingham and the decline of Aston, it's amazing I found loads of interesting stuff on Genuki links etc., Pat x

www.Siouxhealer

www.Siouxhealer Report 27 Nov 2004 14:55

It's very sad isn't it Pat, I've done quite a bit of reading about the Aston & Handsworth areas. It's weird driving through today and seeing just a few of the very old buildings standing between bland / monstrous new buildings. My Gt Gt Gt Gt Grandfather was the last town crier of Birmingham and many of his family lived and worked in Aston. Sioux

Pat

Pat Report 27 Nov 2004 15:11

Wow Souix that's brilliant!!! I am looking forward to going around the area with my Mum as I have never been. We have some marriages ie. In Dale End and Aston Juxta as well as West Bromwich, maybe that's all that is left of these areas are some of the Churches, although I know the Church my grandparents married in has gone already. Pat x

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 27 Nov 2004 15:35

I think 'Warwick' is an abbreviation of Warwickshire rather than a reference to the city itself.

Joan

Joan Report 27 Nov 2004 15:57

Yes. it means Birmingham Warwickshire....most of my family come from there The records are kept in Birmingham Central library though and not in Warwick records office. Good hunting. Joan

Karen

Karen Report 27 Nov 2004 18:25

Hi It is very frustrating trying to figure out what district they came under. The most obvious to to go by todays clasification. It is also very annoying when they move boundries on one census and then somewhere else on another. I have rellies born in Balsall Heath. This sometimes comes under Worc parts have come under Staffs and sometimes B'ham. I find the best way is to check under Worc, Warwickshire and Staffs then at least you've covered your basis. There are lots of records in B'ham Library and the ones at Warwick Record office tend to be for places like Hampton Lucy, Kineton, etc the more rural place of Warwickshire. Karen

Olive

Olive Report 27 Nov 2004 18:45

Birmingham is England's second largest city, it was in Warwickshire and the census forms often give that as just Warwick. Birmingham is now part of the West Midlands together with Coventry, Wolverhampton,Solihull and Dudley etc. Olive.

David

David Report 29 Nov 2004 16:15

Birmingham was historically in the county of Warwickshire, usually shortened to Warwick. But in the 1970's the counties were re-organised. London became a separate country (or metropolitan area) instead of being split up between four counties. Birmingham became the centre of the new West Midlands conurbation.