Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Please help me i'm new

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joanne

Joanne Report 25 Nov 2004 17:03

Hi, I am new to this and am really finding it difficult to get started I keep going over the same information all the time. I don't know where to look or what to do next. I have started at my grandmother and worked up from there so far I have found my great grandparents and my great grandfathers brothers and sisters, also my great grandfathers mum and dad but only his mums married name not maiden name I have rough d.o.b's but thats it. Can anyone shove me in the right direction any help no matter how small would be great. Many thanks JOANNE

Nanna Gaynor  (June nr Preston's Daughter)

Nanna Gaynor (June nr Preston's Daughter) Report 25 Nov 2004 17:15

If you haven't checked it out already there are some links from the home page on this site. Scroll down to: Genealogy resources Tips and useful links Getting started Genealogy links Click on the Genealogy links and there you will see a whole load of links, the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints http://www.familysearch.org/ Family Research Link -Indexes of Births, Marriages & Deaths for England & Wales from 1837 to 2001 http://www.1837online.com FreeBMD (Free Birth,Marriage,Death) UK site dedicated to providing free access to the Civil Registration index for England and Wales. http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/ Are all good but just follow the links........ hope this helps a little........ Gaynor :-)

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 25 Nov 2004 17:19

To get the maiden name you could either buy the marriage certificate or a birth certificate of a child. Marriage certificates also have the names of both fathers and their occupations so can be a good way of gewtting further back. if you can work out roughly when and where they were married you can look them up on free BMd (do a google search to find this) Not all will be listed there but you may strike lucky! Otherwise you need to look at the index of births deaths and marriages. If you don't want to pay you may find this at your local library or record office. When you find a marriage you think is pretty likely the one you can order the certificate online on the 1837 site. Then you wait with baited breath for certificate and hope it takes you further back. One word of warning do you know what you are getting into? I was sane 6 months ago before I started tracing my family history! Would love to help further but I have to go out. Lots of lovely people on this site will help you and are far more experienced than me. Hope to see you on the board again soon Good luck alice

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 25 Nov 2004 17:21

Ps If you go to 'new to GR ' at the left hand side of this page it will give you lots of helpful hints Alice

Amanda,

Amanda, Report 25 Nov 2004 18:05

Hi Joanne, Welcome to the mad house! If you are back to 1901 and happy to post some details of who you have found, we can have a look for you. Best wishes Amanda

Peter

Peter Report 25 Nov 2004 22:23

BBC history bloodlines: is also a good site for beginers www.bbc(.)co(.)uk/familyhistory/bloodlines (remove brackets)