Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Xmas presents

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Val :~)   from West Wirral

Val :~) from West Wirral Report 25 Nov 2004 14:39

Hi can anyone help me please. My family have asked me if there is anything they can BUY me for christmas to help with my tree!! I don't think they're offering money, so that I can update with one of the genealogy pages, they're offering to buy discs etc to use (Census,etc.!!!!!) Can anyone tell me what I could suggest? and where they can buy it from? They don't want me to get it, but want to surprise me!!!!! HELP!!!!!!! regards to all Val

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 25 Nov 2004 14:42

Your local Family History Society should have discs and charts etc. that your family could buy you. Also storage solutions for all the paperwork that seems to multiply all the time. Kath. x

Val :~) from West Wirral Report 25 Nov 2004 14:45

Thanks Kathleen Storage units won't be the problem. But I'll put your other suggestion forward, How do you find the family history society please? are we talking, through the library, sorry to act dumb!! This could be my best Christmas ever, if I can give them a few ideas couldn't it!!!! many thanks Val

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 25 Nov 2004 15:11

This link should give you a list http://www.ffhs.org.uk/General/Members/index.htm Brenda

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 25 Nov 2004 15:17

If you just put 'family history' and the name of the area you live into google it should come up with something. When I mentioned storage solutions, I was thinking of things like acid free folders for keeping old documents in. I've never used them, but they are supposed to be the best way of storing things. My best christmas presents ever were my subscriptions to Ancestry and GR last year (I'm hoping Santa will bring the same presents again this year!!). I'm also hoping for the book to accompany the BBC series 'Who Do You Think You Are'. Hope you get something nice Val. Kath. x

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 25 Nov 2004 15:56

what about the book 'The genealogists Internet'? Advertised in all family history monthly magazines. Or a subscription to one of the magazines. Another book Ancestral trails by Mark Heber available through normal book shops. Ann Glos

Val :~) from West Wirral Report 25 Nov 2004 16:08

Hi all Just got back in from school run!!! Thank you all for your suggestions, I shall print them out and any others that might come my way, over the weekend!!!! thanks again Val

Kim

Kim Report 25 Nov 2004 18:42

A nice pressie would be a subscription to a family history magazine.... Kim

Peter

Peter Report 25 Nov 2004 20:34

If you have kids or some one who ca'nt afford much there are allways Census vouchers from the libray, a £5 each

chezzy

chezzy Report 25 Nov 2004 20:40

Hi Val..snap! im getting certs at xmas off family members,given them each gro numbers and the phne number and whoo cant wait!!!hope you get what you want and have a good chrimbo.xx

Wendy

Wendy Report 25 Nov 2004 22:51

Do you have the 1881 census on CD? I know you can access it online, but with the CDs you can play around with it endlessly! I have had it for about 3 years and still use it all the time when another name turns up. You can play around with first names and dates or p.o.b. etc to your heart's content, off line, knowing it won't shut you out, and go to neighbours, or back to National Index etc---the options are endless. To me, it is the one thing I couldn't live without. Wendy

Val :~) from West Wirral Report 25 Nov 2004 22:51

Once again thank you all for your suggestions. Glad to hear some of you will be receiving genealogy gifts for xmas too!!! Val

Val :~) from West Wirral Report 25 Nov 2004 23:39

Hi Wendy no I don't have any CD census, so you think it a good idea to request them?! regards Val

Wendy

Wendy Report 25 Nov 2004 23:57

A definite YES. The 1881 census from the LDS is about £30 and brilliant value for money. I would be absolutely lost without it, every time a new name appears. Every family historian should definitely have this---you will have endless fun with it. Wendy PS If you want a second idea, I would ask for Family Tree maker programme to store your family history on the computer. You can save this, and can print off trees and various different reports. You can always then check what you have discovered without searching through scraps of paper!