Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adam is this a German name ???????? if not???????

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Val wish I'd never started

Val wish I'd never started Report 24 Nov 2004 12:43

I was just looking at my paperwork again, and wondered if Adam would be a German name , as I dont understand why my Grandad named none of his 15 children after him or his grandfather who supposedly was also called Adam they all have normal names like Arthur Harold Rose etc and as it was supposed to be customary to name them after your rellies why didnt they?

Ann

Ann Report 24 Nov 2004 12:48

Adam is used in German too, most biblical names are international, although some of them may translate differently into different languages (eg James is Jakob in German)but Adam remains as Adam in German.

Val wish I'd never started Report 24 Nov 2004 12:51

thanks Ann I wonder why his Son did not name any of his children after him

Ann

Ann Report 24 Nov 2004 12:57

Maybe he just did not like it!!!!

Val wish I'd never started Report 24 Nov 2004 13:07

you are probably right it is quite a modern name for those days isnt it ??????? a bit like Romeo is now

Geoff

Geoff Report 24 Nov 2004 13:33

Adam - a modern name? I can't think of an older one!

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 24 Nov 2004 13:50

There are fashions in names and fashions in naming patterns. By the Victorian period, people are much more interested in modern, rather than traditional names. Florence and Violet were men's names pre Victoria, but they weren't perpetuated in their families. Think, too, of programmes like "Cash in the Attic" where heirlooms in the family for years are blithely sold to pay for a new kitchen. Some people think tradition is important, and others think there is no sense in retaining something they don't like. Brenda

Val wish I'd never started Report 25 Nov 2004 12:41

Geoff I know its an old name but it sounds quite modern compared to Charles Harold which seem so old fashioned

Montmorency

Montmorency Report 25 Nov 2004 14:45

which only goes to show about fashion. Adam was very popular in the middle ages (which is why Adamson and Atkinson are common surnames) but then declined. To Victorians it probably seemed old-fashioned. Meanwhile Charles was on the up and Harold was the latest new thing, having been almost disused since the Conquest. Looks like your grandad was just a follower of fashion

Naomi in SW

Naomi in SW Report 25 Nov 2004 16:08

I have an Adam Abbs born in the 1790's in Norfolk.