Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hidden Butchers!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 23 Nov 2004 20:32

Apologies first of all if i'm posting in the wrong place. I've come to a bit of a dead end, and hoping someone here may be able to steer me in the right direction...or laugh insanely at my predicament. I have a person (Alfred Edward Smith) whom I know was married on the 10/2/1927. The marriage cert says he is aged 24 (i.e. born 1902/03/04). His father is named as John Smith (very rare I know!) and listed as deceased on the marriage cert. The family info reckons that John Smith was born 1870 and he married a Mary Alice born 1872. The trouble is I can't find any details of either Alfred or his father John Smith. I'm certain they were born/living in Tynemouth (more specifically North Shields) but I am pulling what little hair I have left out trying to find either of them. I know that having the surname of Smith doesn't help, but I thought I had enough details to get a bit further. Finally, to my last ditch chance, the family ran a Butcher's shop (with both John and Alfred listed as master butchers by trade, an irony not missed on me being vegetarian), is there any records of businesses around the turn of the 19th/20th century that may be able to help me in this regard? Thanks for bearing with me on this rambling post and hope I haven't sent you all to sleep!

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 Nov 2004 22:58

If they were master butchers, they would probably be listed in a trade directory for the area. I expect these would be kept at the local records office. Happy hunting nell

Elaine

Elaine Report 23 Nov 2004 23:59

There is a site for Trade directories online. ( i believe its run by the University of Leicester). If you try Google it should direct you to it. You can search area , name, occupation etc. Elaine. x.

David

David Report 24 Nov 2004 15:36

Thanks for all the advice people, now if anyone could just tell me where to find my ancestors lost millions in gold, I'd be a very happy man.

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 24 Nov 2004 21:49

Hi This one is worth a look though it may not quite cover your area? http://www.ndfhs.fsnet.co.uk/RegIndex.html otherwise, keep an eye on this site: http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/ on the list of Local BMD sites. (That's how I the Newcastle one.) They add new ones every so often, and the existing ones get updated from time to time - apart from the W Midlands site which seems to have gone to sleep. ;-) and this one is the historical directories http://www.historicaldirectories.org/ Christine