Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Parish Registers at Archive Centre Advice Please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tillot

Tillot Report 23 Nov 2004 20:28

My local archives centre have just replied to an email to confirm they have the parish records I'm looking for. I just have a few quick queries for you kind people please! The registers are available on microfiche and the email states that 'there is no surname index to the Registers' Does this mean I have to search through by date or does it mean something else? Also, I've never been to an archive centre before. Do you have to tell them what you are looking for before you go (although I know they have the records I want) Their email just states I need to book a microfiche reader. What about costs when you visit? Please could someone explain what I should expect when I visit? Many Thanks Helen

Anne

Anne Report 23 Nov 2004 20:44

You usually need to book a place on a microfiche reader in advance. Just give them a ring and tell them what you need to look at. You probably have an idea of the parish you will look at and the dates. Then its a question of trawling through the entries. Sometimes the old writing is hard to read but I guarantee it really is fascinating! Don't try to do too much on your first visit and write down EVERYTHING even negative results so you know what you've done at a later date. Archives are free except for small charges if you want photocopies. The staff are very helpful - its their job! Anne

MaggyfromWestYorkshire

MaggyfromWestYorkshire Report 23 Nov 2004 21:00

I've always found the staff at archives centres very helpful so don't be frightened to ask them questions. Tell him that it is your first time there and they usually go out of their way to help. Like Anne says don't expect to do everything in one go. Oh, and if you need glasses for reading, don't forget to take them! Have a good time! Maggy

Tillot

Tillot Report 23 Nov 2004 21:01

Thanks Anne! I can't wait - sounds good! Do you just get so much time at the microfiche reader?

Tillot

Tillot Report 23 Nov 2004 21:02

Thanks Maggy, I'll definitely tell them it's my first time. I'll need all the help I can get!

Tillot

Tillot Report 23 Nov 2004 21:02

Thanks Maggy, I'll definitely tell them it's my first time. I'll need all the help I can get!

MaggyfromWestYorkshire

MaggyfromWestYorkshire Report 23 Nov 2004 21:30

Helen, at the archives where I go, you usually book the microfiche reader for the morning or for the afternoon. Maggy

Joy

Joy Report 23 Nov 2004 21:58

Some you book for a couple of hours, some for the morning, some the whole day. The staff are very helpful, in my experience. Tell them what you are looking for. It is a case of searching by date, not surname index! Happy hunting! Joy

BrianW

BrianW Report 23 Nov 2004 21:58

You will normally have to search by date within the parish, and normally further subdivided into christenings, marriages and deaths. If Bishops Transcripts are available then you can probably do all three at once in chronological order, so much quicker. Availability of fiche/film readers depends on the centre. Often you have to book but e.g. here in Chelmsford there are plenty of readers and you can just walk in.

Heather

Heather Report 23 Nov 2004 22:26

Hi, apart from your glasses, take a pencil and a notebook. You arent allowed pens in the records office. You will probably be shown folders showing you references for the info you want to look for and then you go to the parish books and look up the micro fiche or film reference you need. Then the staff will show you how to use either of them. It is difficult to start with so dont get despondent! You will soon be clicking through the stuff like everyone else there! Good luck.

Chris

Chris Report 24 Nov 2004 03:31

Leanne, A lot of Parish registers have been filmed by the Latter Day Saints. If you look on the Family Search site you will find you can look up the place your ancestors were born in and it will give a film number. You can go to your local Family research Centre - you'll find it in your phone book and order the film. I live in New Zealand and have ordered film for places in Scotland and England and even Denmark. It costs about $3.50 and they phone you when it arrives. You book a film reader and away you go. Please forgive me if you know this already. Christine

Eve

Eve Report 24 Nov 2004 13:37

Helen When you go to the archives remember you can only use pencil. I usually take half a dosen then I don't have to sharpen the things. Sometimes some of the microfiche is not too clear, so if you have a magnifying glass it makes life a bit easier. Enjoy your time there . E K .

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 24 Nov 2004 14:00

Helen, they will almost certainly tell you so in advance, but please check whether you need a readers ticket. Sometimes you are allowed to look at microfiche without one, but the archives centre often needs some proof of identity before they issue you with original documents. Maidstone wanted not only credit cards and paid utility bills as proof of signature and address, but also passport photos. This ticket is issued on the day and is usually valid for about three years and often can be used at other record offices. Also check out parking in the area and if you're there all day, find out if they have a cafe on site or let you eat sandwiches in a rest area. Enjoy yourself Brenda

Tillot

Tillot Report 26 Nov 2004 19:50

Gosh, I didn't know until now I'd had some more replies! Thanks folks, you're all so nice and helpful. Heather and Eve - thanks for the tip about taking a pencil, I didn't know that, so I would have walked in with a bic! so thanks! Brenda - yes I do need a readers ticket and I have to take id and proof of address. I checked with the local archive centre's website. Thanks for pointing it out though. Even though I've looked at the archive website, you lot on here have given me a much clearer picture about what to expect. Many many thanks! I can't wait!!!