Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW1 British War Medal and Victory Medal

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Peterkinz

Peterkinz Report 23 Nov 2004 08:49

Were these two medals issued posthumously? I have an ancestor who was awarded both, but who is reputed to have been killed in France 1917. Cannot find a trace of him in GRO or CWGC, and am wondering if award of the medals means that he survived (or death was not recorded) TIA Peter

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 23 Nov 2004 08:59

I'll stand correction, but I thought that these medals were only awarded after the end of the war and next of kin received them on behalf of those who died. Brenda

Linzy

Linzy Report 23 Nov 2004 09:05

Hi a good place to start research into this kind of thing is www(.)1914-1918(.)net. They have a section called 'what grandad did during the war' which is very useful, and a great forum for posting questions. Read the FAQ before posting - the answers are probably in there. Hope that helps Linzy

John

John Report 23 Nov 2004 09:39

Peter I think if he had any rank temp or permanent you could look in the Gazette,a search by name will bring up all possible pages then just a case of reading (some not easy)i did a search for a person and had good success.Assuming the British did the same as here in Oz my G/F medals are listed & on each is the number they were issued with.If the stamp for a medal is there with no number then it was not issued. John.