Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

List of people who died on RMS Lusitania, 1915

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mary

Mary Report 21 Nov 2004 23:46

Does anyone have any ideas where to search for the names of people who died on the RMS Lusitania which was sunk by a german uboat in 1915. I have a great uncle, Paul Daly, who worked in the mail room on that voyage. I have put his name in on different sites and had no success. Anyone who knows where this list would be kept. Many Thanks. Mary

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 22 Nov 2004 00:19

Hi Mary, have alook on here. I think it's a full passenger list, not only of those who died but of all who sailed. Christine http://immigrantships.net/v4/1900v4/lusitania19150507.html Just had a look and there are two Dalys one a Daniel Daly and the other H.M.Daly but no Paul.

Janet

Janet Report 22 Nov 2004 10:02

I think that you will also find the story of the Lusitania+passenger List in the National archives. www.nationalarchives.gov.uk. Many books have been written on it. Janet

Mary

Mary Report 22 Nov 2004 23:45

Thank you Janet and Christine, have looked on both those sites and no luck. I am beginning to think it is one of those family stories or myths more like. I will just have to do the legwork and visit the Merseyside Maritime Museum and see if they can help. Many thanks once again, Mary

Janet

Janet Report 23 Nov 2004 09:48

Mary I thought I had a copy of the Lusitania Crew and passengers and have now found it. Taken from all passengers and crew on board RMS Lusitania from New York May1st 1915 when she was torpedoed and sunk by a Geman Submarine off the Old Head of Kinsale May 7th 1915. The only Daly on board is as follows,no Paul: Harold M Daley Saloon survivor Daniel Daley Fireman missing William Dale 2 Class Cabin Passenger missing David Dawsley 3 class passenger missing If it is any consolation, we have spent many years thinking one of my husband's relatives went down on this ship because family history said so. We found his name and yes it was his name on the list! We were even told that some of his belongings had been returned to the family. A few weeks ago we stumbled on an unexpected twist, when we came across a memorial newspaper report about this person, who had come from Liverpool, giving the name of his parents, which did not match those of my husband's relatives from Southampton!! Hence the reaon I could not find this Lusitania List! This is Family Myth for you!! However we are now left with another mystery. What and whose clothes were returned and why?? Janet