Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How to I obtain a copy of his will?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nichola

Nichola Report 21 Nov 2004 18:43

I would like to obtain my great grandfathers Will. I know he died in January 1933 in Terrington, York, and the solictors who dealt with his estate. I presume the main Probate Registry in York would hold it but I've been on their website and I'm confused. Any ideas Nicky

Heather

Heather Report 21 Nov 2004 18:45

Yes, you can get it from York. All the details should be on the site, you send off a cheque for a fiver and get a copy of the Will back usually within 2 weeks. Good luck.

Nichola

Nichola Report 21 Nov 2004 18:54

Thanks Heather. Nicky

CATHKIN

CATHKIN Report 21 Nov 2004 20:36

I`ve just sent for 2 Scottish ones from Edinburgh from 1930 and 1940. My great grandfather had property so I`m dying to see what the will said -I know it was all sold unfortunately. Rosalyn

Sidami

Sidami Report 21 Nov 2004 23:22

What is the website please to see if there are wills Sue.................. do you just put a name in and does it tell you if there is a will I don't want to be sending £5 each time if there wasn't a will

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 21 Nov 2004 23:33

Hi Ros, I found a copy of my husband's GGGrandfather's Scottish will on Scottish Documents.*com. I was able to download it to my PC for 5 pounds. Did you know that soon Scottish Documents are amalgamating with Scotlands People site and you'll be able to do it from there? Christine

Heather

Heather Report 22 Nov 2004 08:11

Hi, national Archives site has wills on line but only up to 1858 or so. You can put in a name and place and date and it brings up options. If your will is on there you can download it for £3.50. I did it but got the wrong guy - got his father instead - I emailed National Archives and they said they would refund the £3.50 which they did! After that date you have to send away with the details or go do a look up yourself.

Judith

Judith Report 22 Nov 2004 09:40

For wills after 1858 you can order them from the National Probate Registry onlinecost £5 as previously mentioned. You need to give name, date of death, and where the person lived. The £5 does include a search to find the will but to be sure of details you can look at the National Probate Index (or Calendar) of wills on fiche at most county records offices, at the FRC in London and I'm sure other GR members will know of other places where it is available. Judith PS I've just received my 3XGt grandfather's will and he very obligingly named all his children and grandchildren and referred to a family scandal as well:-))

Heather

Heather Report 22 Nov 2004 10:24

Yes they are useful. My GGFx4 daughter (the only one rich enough to have a will, due to a liaison with an older man!) left a will which gave the names of all her siblings and their occupations (3 of which were hitherto unknown to me) plus the wives/husbands of siblings and cousins. Very handy.