Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Strange relationships and birthplaces on 1871 cens

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 21 Nov 2004 09:24

Looking for my William Newport I found this on the 1871 census: SOLVED Mistranscribed Frank was born in Bourton Berkshire - mistranscibed BOLTON!!

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 21 Nov 2004 09:25

Helen Fear 8 Hutton, Somerset, England Daughter Frank Newport 12 Bolton, Somerset, England Brother Mary Newport 35 Swindon, Wiltshire, England Wife William H Newport 26 Shrivenham, Berkshire, England Head William H Newport 2 Weston-Supr-Mare, Somerset, England Son Ann Sykes 31 Barrington, Gloucestershire, England Sister The family are living in Weston Super mare Somerset. I am sure this is william as it is his correct age and birthp;lac. What i don't understand is the strange birthpalaces, names and relationships of the rest of the household. He may have had a daughter when he was only 16 - but what about the name -Fear suppose it could be wifes first marriage? His brother frank and sister Ann would not have been born in Gloucester as the family were in Berkshire and I have records of baptisms which show they stayed put. Can anyone tell me how all these apparent errors can be accounted for? alice

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 21 Nov 2004 09:27

Also found the family in 1881: Is it the same wife i wonder - she is still married but he is not there Frederick J. Newport abt 1872 Weston S Mare, Somerset, England Son Weston Super Mare Mary Newport abt 1841 Little Barrington, Oxfordshire, England Wife (Head) Weston Super Mare William H. Newport abt 1869 Weston S Mare, Somerset, England Son

Kim

Kim Report 21 Nov 2004 14:41

The wife is a lot older than the husband, I would imagine she could have previously been married to Mr Fear? Or else adopted the child? As for birthplaces they could be misheard or mistranscribed, have you seen the original image??The sister Sykes is she married or unmarried, could mean sister in law? Happy hunting Kim

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 21 Nov 2004 16:37

Thanks Kim original images look right - my lot they had no idea when and where they were born anyway! In 1881 most of the 'odd relatives' have left !