Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

FREE searchable 1881 census with images

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JG70

JG70 Report 20 Nov 2004 20:28

At ancestry.co.uk incase you didn't know Jacquie

John

John Report 20 Nov 2004 20:33

Oh, thanks! When did they add that? (I haven't been on it for about a week!)

JG70

JG70 Report 20 Nov 2004 20:34

Hi John, they added it yesterday - just noticed. Jacquie

JG70

JG70 Report 20 Nov 2004 20:47

According to Margaret only the index is free. Cheeky ancestry have advertised it as free on the site!! Jacquie

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 20 Nov 2004 21:16

The index may be free, but they certainly don't want you on the site if you haven't subscribed. Snowflake's chance in hell of me doing that for the little they offer. Brenda

Joy

Joy Report 20 Nov 2004 21:42

Thanks, Jacquie, for telling us. Good to be able to check the transcriptions. Well worth the year's subscription! :) Joy

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 20 Nov 2004 22:11

It appears that they have obtained the index from the LDS, so if we couldn't track someone down on there because of mistranscription, we shall still be unable to do so, BUT at least there are the actual pages to look at - long nights at the keyboard ahead!!

Lucky

Lucky Report 20 Nov 2004 22:24

A bit cheeky as it doesn't have buy next to the link as the others do. When you click on it you get the page as though you can look at the image, click to view and get taken to the upgrade screen Diane

www.Siouxhealer

www.Siouxhealer Report 20 Nov 2004 22:26

I disagree Yvonne, because of the way Ancestry enable you to search I found 5 different entries today for the 1881 relevant to my research and in making breakthroughs with the 1881 I've also located 2 earlier entries in the 1871 and 2 in the 1901. Horses for courses I suppose, even with the mistakes I recon Ancestry is worth every penny, and then some :D Sioux

Sheila

Sheila Report 21 Nov 2004 07:49

Re earlier comment about it is same info as LDS.Ihave found some new info already, so have a look.

Stardust

Stardust Report 21 Nov 2004 08:30

It doesn't seem to be on the Ancestry Plus site, hope they put it there soon Grace R

Janice

Janice Report 21 Nov 2004 11:52

I am really pleased with the information that I have managed to find from ancestory. There is also some of 1901 census available as well. I will certainly renew my yearly subscription when it is due.

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 21 Nov 2004 13:42

Sioux & Sheila, Believe me I was not knocking Ancestry, I have always considered I get my moneys worth out of my subsicription, this is my second year, and finding 1881 on there all in one go was great. I am quite willing to work for my information, but did notice that they acknowledged their debt to the LDS, and wondered if it would be a job to work past the mistranscriptions - obviously not. Yvonne

www.Siouxhealer

www.Siouxhealer Report 21 Nov 2004 13:44

Hi Lorraine, It's Ancestry(.)co(.)uk for the UK records or Ancestry(.)com for the US records - just remove the brackets. You can search the listings for free, but you need to be a subscriber to view the census images etc. If you're a beginner you can always ask someone who's a subscriber to send you a particular image you may feel is relevant to your family search. I've helped people out this way before. You can pay a minimal amout about £6 I think for 20 pages, or subscribe quarterly which is £29 / qtr or yearly wich is about £70. There is a 2 week free trial, dunno how much access you get with that though. If you hunt around on the boards here there was an illicit link in through another site so that you had full free access, but they keep changing it because it's not actually for general use ;) Good luck with your search and don't be afraid to ask for help...... we've all been in the same boat at sometime :) Sioux

Kim

Kim Report 21 Nov 2004 14:37

It is on the "free" (If you can get in!) ancestry plus site under recent databases on the right on the screen, many hours hunting ahead.... Kim

Sidami

Sidami Report 21 Nov 2004 14:50

Just been on it thankyou for letting us know........

Ann

Ann Report 6 Feb 2005 22:56

Hi .I have just been on here.....the 1881 census is freestill.........i will be paying for a subscription as I found names I wanted.............I couldn't find a thing on LDS!!