Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ever been tempted...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 19 Nov 2004 18:22

...to adopt another family who seem easier to trace than your own? A family where there is an unusual surname which is easy to spell, where all the children are born exactly 2 years apart, where no-one is widowed and remarried, or has any stepchildren, half-children, illegitimate children? A family where all the first names are unusual but easy to spell, that can't be abbreviated or shortened or turned into nicknames? A family where they have a settled occupation and stay put from census to census? But best of all a family that always puts the correct details on eveything in BIG BLOCK CAPITALS?! See, it's tempting - but also not much fun!

Kim

Kim Report 19 Nov 2004 18:25

That would only take you a couple of weeks to do and then what would you do with all your spare time?! Kim

Joan

Joan Report 20 Nov 2004 08:41

Oh yes! And they would all live in a small village somewhere with a very old church which managed to keep all its records........oh yes...often!...but it wouldn't be such a challenge! Joan

Poolie Girl

Poolie Girl Report 20 Nov 2004 08:52

I have a pretty straightforward surname - Oram. Not loads of us so should be quite straightforward (not like Robinson and Smith) So far I have found this mistranscribed as Cram, Bram, Drain, Grand and in certs as Horam. Even a single letter surname would get mistranscribed. I bet if my family were called X i would find them as Y, H and V Beth :)