Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help required please - "received in Church" ????

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gerry

Gerry Report 19 Nov 2004 16:30

Hi I have, from Ancestry, the following transcripts from Parish Registers. 18 Oct 1779 Sarah, daughter of Thomas and Jane Cookson bap; 14 Nov 1779, received in Church. 30Oct 1780 Mary, daughter of Thomas and Jane Cookson bap; 8 Nov 1780, buried. It has been suggested to me that "received in Church" means buried. However, the same Parish Register uses "buried" one year later. Does anyone know, for sure, the meaning of "received in Church" please Gerry

Heather

Heather Report 19 Nov 2004 16:32

I think this would be a term used for baptism or adult confirmation. It is a bit puzzling isnt it. I mean if it were a catholic church one might think that a priest had absolved someone of their sins when they were dying. Hope some brilliant person knows for sure.

Judith

Judith Report 19 Nov 2004 16:53

Gerry, The full baptism service consists of two parts, the baptism itself and being received into the family of the Church. When a private baptism takes place, perhaps because the child is not expected to live or for some other reason can't be taken to church, then a second ceremony, to receive the child into the church is carried out. In one of the parishes that my relatives used the baptism register had two columns, one for private and one for public baptisms, and those children who survived after the private baptism all then had the date when they were recieved into church recorded. Judith

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 19 Nov 2004 16:54

You can only be baptised once. Anyone can perform a baptism. A sickly child might be baptised at home. This is sometimes referred to as private or half baptism. When they are strong enough, they can be received into the church. This can also happen for adults who are not sure whether they were baptised or not. It is difficult to be dogmatic on these points as the wording used by compilers of parish registers can vary. Occasionally, I have seen a child undergoing private baptism, public baptism and being received into the church. Brenda

Heather

Heather Report 19 Nov 2004 16:59

I would add a variation on the private baptism guys. My ancestor was an unmarried mum in a long term relationship with a rich older man. When the 2 illegitimate children were born it was noted that they were baptised privately at his home. Perhaps he was trying to keep the relationship secret? They both grew up and lived to good old ages so I dont think it was because of them being sickly.

Judith

Judith Report 19 Nov 2004 17:06

Heather, although the prayer book sets out quite strict limits on when private baptisms can take place I'm sure it depended on how the vicar interpreted the rules as yes, an awful lot of those children I found listed with private baptisms seemed to live to ripe old ages. Judith

Unknown

Unknown Report 19 Nov 2004 17:10

But the fact that you live to a ripe old age doesn't mean that you were a healthy baby, anymore than being a healthy baby will ensure that you reach a ripe old age. I have only one instance of a private baptism in my family tree and that is a baby that was born about a month or so after her parents got married. I don't know whether that was because of the "scandal" of her being nearly illegitimate. It might be because the parents were unwell and unable to attend church, or some other reason. nell

Geoff

Geoff Report 19 Nov 2004 17:11

Come to think of it, our son was "received into the church" when he was 3 after being baptised in hospital the day he was born.

Gerry

Gerry Report 19 Nov 2004 17:16

Heh, thanks for your replies guys. Apart from anything else, you have answered a question I forgot to ask, which was "what are private babtisms". My parents in 1770s+ had 18 children(!!!!!!!!!), a number of whom had private babtisms followed by "received in to the church" as well as others who had "normal" babtism and were also "received". Anyway, I think you are all agreed its nothing to do with being dead. Thanks again. Gerry

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 19 Nov 2004 17:19

Although baptism and christening are taken to be synonymous, the Victorians often gave them the meaning of private and public baptism. In one victorian novel I read, a child that was privately baptised at home and not publicly christened had a decided slur cast upon it. Brenda

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 20 Nov 2004 01:11

I have one private baptism in my family in the early 1800s and it seemed to be something to do with being a long way from the Church - perhaps they were particularly devout or were anxious to have the child baptised before the "Devil could get it", which was a traditional fear amongst country people. The child in this case was received into the Church some 6 months later.