Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice from you experts please.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Heather

Heather Report 18 Nov 2004 11:49

I have at last found the marriage between my GGFx2 and his wife. I hadnt been able to find them because it appears they married 17 years after setting up home. I have checked, and there is no likelihood this is another generation or family. Right names, right place. The problem is, when I found him on FreeBMD he was on his own without a bride on one page, I then found her, on the next page without a groom. How do I get the cert if they are apparently on separate entries please: Name: Horstead, James Record Type: Marriages Quarter: March Year: 1854 District: Bethnal Green County: Greater London London Middlesex Volume: 1c Page: 443 Name: Smith, Mary Ann Record Type: Marriages Quarter: March Year: 1854 District: Bethnal Green County: Greater London London Middlesex Page 442 1c

Zoe

Zoe Report 18 Nov 2004 11:56

Heather order you marriage certificate using just one persons name. On the online service its not necessary to input details for both the bride and groom. If it was me I'd go for the mans details as the surname is less common than Smith. Zoe

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 18 Nov 2004 11:56

Heather My guess is that the page number for James Horstead is a mistranscription. There are 5 people listed on that page, whereas marriages usually only have 4 to a page (2 males, 2 females). Mary Ann Smith's page only has 2 names listed (both female). Best bet would be to check the entry for James on 1837online. If it's unclear what the page number should be, then check the page number for Mary Ann on 1837online, and go with that if it's clearer. Richard

Crista

Crista Report 18 Nov 2004 11:58

Heather, It would seem that James' entry is a transcription error as there are 3 male entries for that page number. If you give me a second I can check for you. Crista

Crista

Crista Report 18 Nov 2004 12:06

It does say 442 on the image for James Crista

Heather

Heather Report 18 Nov 2004 12:13

Oh great, so they are both on the same page after all. Bless you. I didnt want to waste another £7! Little does hubby know I actually have to pay for these things!!! Strange my hubby has no interest whatsoever in his family tree, do any of you find that too?

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 18 Nov 2004 12:21

If it definitely says 442 on the image, then you should report the error to FreeBMD (click on the "info" button next to the name). I reported one a few weeks ago and it was corrected on the next FreeBMD update. Richard

Heather

Heather Report 18 Nov 2004 15:53

Many thanks everyone, certificate ordered. I have told freebmd about the mistake. Many thanks all.