Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Old Medical Records - advice please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 18 Nov 2004 09:07

I've been helping my sil to find out about her late grandmother. I found out she died at a mental hospital in 1940 and I wrote to the relevent NHS Trust to enquire about her medical records. I've just received a letter back saying that they only keep records for a maximum of 25 years, and only for 8 years after a patient has died. Does this sound right to all you experienced searchers? And would there be anywhere at all to find out exactly why she was in the mental hospital? Grateful thanks! Mandy :)

Unknown

Unknown Report 18 Nov 2004 17:51

Thanks Joy, I was afraid that would be the case! We suspect that she may have had post-natal depression, made worse by her husband going off to war, and of course it wasn't recognised in those days. It would just have been nice to have had a more specific diagnosis than the 'exhaustion due to melancholia' on her death cert! Anyone else got any ideas?! Mandy :)

Unknown

Unknown Report 18 Nov 2004 18:10

You could try the hospital name on a2a (just google a2a to find it). I found some info about my grandfather who died in Hackney Hospital in 1937 this way. nell

Cosmosmallpiece

Cosmosmallpiece Report 18 Nov 2004 18:25

Hi Mandy i must have been very lucky because when i found out my g grandmother had died in a mental home in 1903 i wrote to the Exeter Heath Service and got a detailed letter about her, not very nice to read but i am glad i asked. it look's like some record's are kept but it's just luck where you are looking. Happy hunting Lita