Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

canada - where do i start ????

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Michelle

Michelle Report 18 Nov 2004 08:48

Any advice on where to start with my grandad, rumoured to have been born in quebec, c 1883 canada, but we have no proof!! Have pysically scoured all the birth entries in the u.k records office and he wasnt registered born here, but somehow made his way to england. His name is lawrence lamar basye (a rare name in the u.k) got married a couple of times and had 10 children! Fought in world war one with british issue medal card so not listed canadian ww1 soldiers. Does anyone know canadian history of immigrants - please help?

Sue

Sue Report 18 Nov 2004 09:22

Michelle Try this site. It has lots of links to Canadian genealogy sites. http://www.islandnet(.)com/~jveinot/cghl/links-etc.html Remove the brackets. Also try a search on 'google canada'. That should give you only Canadian sites. This site gives some census listings from 1901 and 1906, although I couldn't find the name listed. There are lots of Lamars in Quebec though. http://automatedgenealogy(.)com/census/index.html Good luck. I have to go to work now but I should have some more sites and I'll try to post them later. Sue

Michelle

Michelle Report 18 Nov 2004 09:47

many thanks sue, this is really what i need, some good pointers! After four years i am at a loss!! I will take a look at these closely later and look forward to receiving more sites from you. Thanks again