Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where is St Martin?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

sparklysam

sparklysam Report 17 Nov 2004 20:21

I have found a GRO reference stating St Martin, can anyone tell me where this is please? Thanks :-)

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 17 Nov 2004 20:26

St. Martin Created 1st July 1913 (out of Strand and Westminster districts). Abolished 1922 (renamed City of Westminster). Sub-districts : Charing Cross; Long Acre; St. James and St. Anne; Strand. GRO volumes : 1a (1913-22). Middle Temple, The Rolls, St. Anne Soho, St. Clement Danes, St. Martin in the Fields, St. Mary-le-Strand, St. Paul Covent Garden, Savoy Precinct, Westminster St. James, Westminster St. Margaret. Registers now in Westminster district. Got this from the web, hope it helps Yvonne

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Nov 2004 21:19

Named after the historic church of St Martins in the Fields, in Trafalgar Square, north of which runs St Martins Lane, which is in the heart of theatre land in London's West End. nell

sparklysam

sparklysam Report 17 Nov 2004 21:22

The date I have St Martins for is 1853..... Im hoping it might be somewhere in somerset!?

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 17 Nov 2004 21:32

If your reference is from freebmd, you can click on the district, follow the screens and get information about the registration district. If not, a guide is the volume number. Not sure what it is for Somerset, but somebody will be able to tell you. Brenda

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 17 Nov 2004 21:56

There is a St Martins in Guernsey and the West country (I think Somerset) has a connection with the channel islands, at least I think so, I can't remember where I saw this though. Ann Glos

Carolyn

Carolyn Report 17 Nov 2004 23:40

My husband has got ancestors who were married in Winterbourne St Martin and that is in Dorset. Carolyn

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 18 Nov 2004 01:28

Samantha, There is a St.Martins parish in Weston super Mare/Worle. If the St.Martins you have is in London then the GRO reference would be 1a if that is not the case then have a look at this site. www(.)mary.mason.btinternet(.)co(.)uk/westonworle.htm I haven't been able to find a St.Martins listed in the Somerset Registration districts. For anyone else interested the above site has some marriages and baptisms listed from the parish records of several churches in Weston some starting in 1813 and some as late as 1912. Might be useful to some of you. Kathleen