Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What would a Stationary Engine Driver do ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Nov 2004 18:33

Maybe I'm being a bit thick but what does a Stationary Engine Driver do ?? My Ancestor has this as his occupation on the 1901 census. I know what an Engine Driver is (my son loves Thomas the Tank Engine) but why would a stationary engine need a driver ?? Clare - not very technically minded !!!

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 17 Nov 2004 18:37

Operate a steam engine that does not move! I assume this would be a beam engine or at a pumping station: that sort of thing. Brenda

Stephen

Stephen Report 17 Nov 2004 20:32

I live near blists hill working mueseum. They have a working steam engine there. It lifts a cage up and down what remains of a pit shaft. they were also used in sawmills, weaving mills, and and other mill, factory etc that needed to drive machinery. Watch a bit of Fred Dibnahs series on tv. Steve.

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Nov 2004 21:12

I see now - so any industry which required power to drive machinery would probably have had a stationary engine. You learn something every day. Thanks all. Clare.xx

Andy

Andy Report 17 Nov 2004 21:18

Could have been on a Farm driving threshing machines and the such. Even in the post 1900 these could be bought for £150 or so, many Farms used them They looked like a Traction Engine but with rudimentary wheels so they could be moved round the yard etc.