Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Why does?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Nov 2004 11:32

When I go into Ancestry for BMD - I put in the name and district say London and marriage. All entries for that name comes up whether it be in London or Sheffield so about 3000 entries show then the area I want is in bold so I still have to go through all the 3000 entries to find what I'm looking for. Whats going on? Lin

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Nov 2004 11:52

I think (and I know someone will correct me if I'm wrong!) that that happens if you select Best Ranked Matches rather than Exact Matches, cos it's giving you everyone with that name, that year, that area, that birth/marriage/death, plus others that fit your criteria as well. I've had the same thing and ended up wading through pages and pages but sometimes that's no bad thing given the amount of mistranscriptions you get. I've found several rellies with surnames spelt incorrectly who I'd not have located opting for Exact Matches only Lou

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Nov 2004 11:53

And Jim's way is cool too and probably far more sensible than my long winded explanation! Lou

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Nov 2004 13:08

I'll have a bash chaps - thanks for your help ttfn Lin