Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Rellie died in WW1

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Bluesavannah

Bluesavannah Report 17 Nov 2004 10:53

Ive got a rellie that died in WW1, ive found what i think to be him in 1917 killed on the commonwealth graves site but it hasnt put his middle initial of him on it. I cant be 100% sure it is him. Are there any records in the UK like 1837 that would have details on him? Ive tried the 1827 indexes but cant find him as i think he was killed and burried abroad. Any help will be greatly received. Thanks, Claire

Naomi in SW

Naomi in SW Report 17 Nov 2004 10:58

Have you looked on the National Archives website? They have quite a lot of information re: WW1. You could try and find his medal roll and see if anything is mentioned in dispatches etc.

NicolaDunbyNocula

NicolaDunbyNocula Report 17 Nov 2004 11:01

Whats you rellie's name, I have some credits left so I could have a look for you on 1837. Nicola

Bluesavannah

Bluesavannah Report 17 Nov 2004 11:05

Hi Both, His name is Oliver Cromwell Johnson. Ive heard there was indexes for WW1 deaths on 1837 but i cant find it at all. I didnt think of the national archives, will have a look at that. Thanks for the tip. Best Regards, Claire

NicolaDunbyNocula

NicolaDunbyNocula Report 17 Nov 2004 11:29

This is what I found on the gro war army deaths, other ranks. Name: Oliver Johnson Rank: Private Number: 13972 Unit: O.B.L.I Died: 1917 Vol: 1.54 Page: 313 Name: Oliver Johnson Rank: Private Number: 204908 Unit: V.a.L.R (think it's an a, the letter is very faded) Died: 1917 Vol: 1.43 Page: 210 Sorry but haven't found any with the middle name, you will probably find that sometimes, they did not know the soldiers middle name. Hope this helps Nicola

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Nov 2004 11:31

Can't you use the Unit and Numbers to find him? Try the Imperial War Museum on Google.

Bluesavannah

Bluesavannah Report 17 Nov 2004 11:38

Thanks for that Nicola, and also thank you Jim for the other tip. will have a go googling that. Regards, Claire