Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Immigration from England to Australia

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janine

Janine Report 16 Nov 2004 21:12

Does anybody know if you are able to find out if and when somebody immigrated to Australia after 1915? Cheers Janine

Jude 3

Jude 3 Report 17 Nov 2004 00:25

Hi Janine, use google - www.gov.au - scroll down to National Archives of Australia Commonwealth record keeping - then select The Collection, from left hand side panel select "record search", search as guest, select passenger index - haven't used this site myself, but thought it might help. There is lots of other stuff on there re family history. I only looked this up for you but have decided it might be handy. Sorry message is a bit haphazard but not that good with computer directions! Good luck! Judy (melbourne)

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 17 Nov 2004 06:45

Have a look at Anthony Hull's thread about shipping to Aust & NZ

John

John Report 17 Nov 2004 09:20

Janine One problem you might have is:Immigration by assisted passage or immigrants who paid their way,as in me! I have lived here since 1959 emigrated from UK but paid my fare,this could make it harder.Ive had a look through a list of people who offer free help & only one has anything to offer after 1915 & that was between 1968-72,the National Archives or Anthony Hull look like your best chances. John.

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Nov 2004 10:19

Hi Janine, Try Maryborough Australia on Google. Maryborough was a direct point of entry on the Mary River which is now in Queensland.They changed the border. Direct immigration totalled some 23,000 persons. Also list of ships is available. Most people who arrived here moved further north into Queensland. Its bit of a backwater and some times gets overlooked. They keep good records in the Customs house and I found two rels. I try to get down there as its only 200 kms from Bundaberg. Best of luck. Bundy Bill

Janine

Janine Report 17 Nov 2004 10:54

Thankyou everyone for all those wonderfull suggestions. I have been in contact with Anthony Hull before and he is amazing. Unfortunately to date I have still not been able to locate my missing rellies. But I am still perservering. Many thanks once agan. Cheers Janine

TonyOz

TonyOz Report 17 Nov 2004 11:28

Looking for Arrival's into Australian Ports, after 1900 is very difficult to find on the Web. It may be possible? but i have yet to find a URL on line. A few months ago i sent an Enquire'y to Freemantle in Perth, Australia looking for the Arrival of my Grandfather in 1915. They replied with these Links. Hope these help. Tony. Oz Remove ( ) These URL's lead to other States apart from Perth. The attached fact sheets detail our Perth Office opening hours (http://www(.)naa(.)gov(.)au/Publications/fact_sheets/FS01(.)html) and further information about researching passenger records (http://www(.)naa(.)gov(.)au/Publications/fact_sheets/FS56(.)html).

TonyOz

TonyOz Report 17 Nov 2004 11:33

p.s They did find my Grandad, but i needed to supply them with every smallest detail possible. ( they will not do a blanket search.) Cheers. Tony Oz

Max

Max Report 17 Nov 2004 14:33

Dear Judith your tip for www.gov.au has paid off - I think I have found my husband's half-sister, but....is there any way of searching an electoral register or similar in Australia, I don't know how to progress from1967 to the present. Erika (Salisbury, U.K.)

TonyOz

TonyOz Report 18 Nov 2004 02:33

G'day Max. Unlike the U.K our Privacy act differs. To the best of my knowledge, there is no recent Electoral records on line in Australia. ( or not one that i am aware of ) Remove brackets. http://www(.)legislation(.)act(.)gov(.)au/updates/default(.)asp If the person you seek is still living you could try the Australian White pages Directory: Look under "Residential" State by State. http://www(.)whitepages(.)com(.)au/wp/busSearch(.)jhtml Hope this helps. Cheers. Tony Oz.