Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help on a mysterious death at sea

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Louise

Louise Report 16 Nov 2004 20:02

I've just found a note in a box of family info from a late great uncle of a death at sea in 1876 of John Robertson, late steward of "The City of Calcutta". Does anyone know of a good way to check this out? I assume he is some sort of ancestor but is new to me. Thanks.

Helen

Helen Report 16 Nov 2004 20:12

Did a yahoo search on 'ship' 'The City of Calcutta' and there was something about salvage in 1898 and a court case. Thought it might be of interest.

Helen

Helen Report 16 Nov 2004 20:23

This site also mentions a ship with that name http://www.theshipslist.*com/ships/lines/ellerman4.htm take out *

Louise

Louise Report 16 Nov 2004 20:35

Thanks. It's definitely easier to check out the ship rather than the man. Loks like I'll have to make a trip to the archives at Kew to find the list of crew and maybe, if I'm lucky, find out who his outstanding wages were paid to, unless anyone has an alternative approach.

Scatty Patty

Scatty Patty Report 16 Nov 2004 20:39

Hi Louise Go to the '1837online' site and look at the "GRO Marine Death Indices 1846-1902". This gives all the deaths at sea in that period. I have found two relatives on it and am now awaiting the death certificates which hopefully state cause of death. Best of luck- Pat

Nantwich

Nantwich Report 16 Nov 2004 20:52

Hi there, sounds like it's also worth doing a search in The Time Digital Archives as it may have been reported on, see earlier threads "Times Digital Archives" for info on accessing through Bedfordshire Online Libaries Good Luck Sarah