Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

GRRRRR...HELP ME B4 I GO INSANE???

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Heidi

Heidi Report 15 Nov 2004 21:48

hi....am searching thru family search and ancestry.co.uk.....could it be possible that could be 10yrs out on a birthdate? joseph collins b stafford in 1816 ish...married rosamond 1819 ish...but perhaps birn in derby looking for marriage date...cant find in ancestry but found only 1 in family search....correct names and places of birht but marrige date 1850 ish...have birht dates as 1829....could this be same people or not? somebody help me please...been trying to do this for weeks...one of the children called john born in 1839 ish

Alison

Alison Report 15 Nov 2004 21:53

Is this them? Household: Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability Joseph COLLINS Head M Male 64 Retun, Stafford, England Furnace Laborer Rosemand COLLINS Wife M Female 66 Worcester, England Samuel COLLINS Son U Male 23 Chesterfield, Derby, England Furnace Laborer -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Source Information: Dwelling Cavendish Square Census Place Newbold & Dunston, Derby, England Family History Library Film 1341821 Public Records Office Reference RG11 Piece / Folio 3433 / 41 Page Number 38 Alison

Alison

Alison Report 15 Nov 2004 21:56

Found a baptism in 1818 as well... JOSEPH COLLINS Male -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Event(s): Birth: Christening: 26 JUL 1818 Sedgley, Stafford, England Death: Burial: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Parents: Father: THOMAS COLLINS Family Mother: MARY

Heidi

Heidi Report 15 Nov 2004 22:01

yes thank you alison....i have the 1st one already.... the second i found ages ago but wasnt sure....cant u tell me where i can find it again...and please if you can help me to find where his parent came from? just to make sure....i hope i am right samuel was the second youngest with george henry being youngest...and john being the eldest....willaim is a grandson in 1871 census but cant work out who to altho i think is not johns as he had one later on called william robert... thanks xx

Alison

Alison Report 15 Nov 2004 22:09

Hello Heidi, Yes, I found both records on the 1881 census at familysearch. The first one I searched on Rosamund, to whittle the search down easier as her name is more unusual. the second search I put in an approximate birth date as 1820 with a +- of 5 years and went through the list looking for one born in Stafford. Have just found this, not sure if its the marriage you may have found before. As it gives an incorrect estimate of Joseph's birth date. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Joseph COLLINS Male Family ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Event(s): Birth: About 1826 , Stafford, England Christening: Death: Burial: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Marriages: Spouse: Rosamond FROST Family Marriage: About 1850 Shall have a quick look for his parents, but I must get to bed. Had too much late night genealogy for the last few nights! Alison

Heidi

Heidi Report 15 Nov 2004 22:12

thank you alison....i am puzzled by that one which is y i asked....but yes pleaze could you find his parents places and dates for me....i will try too xxxxx

Alison

Alison Report 15 Nov 2004 22:13

Me again! I'm on a roll! Here are Thomas & Mary Collins marriage, I think. Taken from familysearch again. I searched with Thomas Collins and Mary as his spouse and giving an aprox date of marriage as 1818 (baptism year for Joseph). THOMAS COLLINS Male Family -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Event(s): Birth: Christening: Death: Burial: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Marriages: Spouse: MARY HALL Family Marriage: 06 APR 1818 Tamworth, Stafford, England Hope this has helped. Shall be off to bed now. All the best with the research, Alison

Heidi

Heidi Report 15 Nov 2004 22:16

thank you alison...eternally gratefull xxxxx

Judith

Judith Report 15 Nov 2004 23:00

I shouldn't worry about those FamilySearch entries with 'about' and just a year. They are entries made by an LDS member not extracted from parish records. The same member has submitted the following: Mary Ann COLLINS Female Birth: 16 AUG 1852 , Stafford, England Christening: Death: 04 JUN 1929 Sunnyside, Carbon, Utah Burial: 08 JUN 1929 Sunnyside, Carbon, Utah So I would imagine having got parents' names from Mary Ann's birth certificate they then guessed at ages and a date of marriage for Joseph and Rosamund Judith

Heidi

Heidi Report 15 Nov 2004 23:06

thank you...xxx i have been searching the 1881 census....try not to look at the lds if i can help it.....am i to assume then that it is the same jospeh and rosamond?....seeing rosamond is an unusual name?....as far as I know tho we have no connections with the USA lol

Heidi

Heidi Report 15 Nov 2004 23:08

the tree i have does not have does not have Jospeh and Rosamond as having a child called Mary ann

Judith

Judith Report 15 Nov 2004 23:44

I suppose its possible your Collins family had a daughter who emigrated before the 1871 census but it could just be a coincidence that her parents names were Joseph and Rosamond. Think you'd have to try to find your Joseph and Rosamond's marriage cert to find out if there is a link, or look for them on the 1861 census to see if they had a daughter called Mary Ann.

Judith

Judith Report 15 Nov 2004 23:51

Found these on FreeBMD . this could be your Joseph and Rosamond -( and the names fit those on that mysterious familysearch entry so perhaps you do have a US connection after all!) Marriages Sep 1839 BOWYER Ann Wolverhampton &c. 17 299 BRACE Keziah Wolverhampton &c. 17 299 CASWELL John Wolverhampton &c. 17 299 COLLINS Joseph Wolverhampton &c. 17 299 Frost Rosamond Wolverhampton &c. 17 299 Hartley John Wolverhampton &c. 17 299 Pike Thomas Wolverhampton 17 299 Thorneycroft Emma Wolverhampton &c. 17 299