Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Completly stuck!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joanna

Joanna Report 15 Nov 2004 19:26

Im new to this and have only been working on my tree for about a week. I now have the First name of my gggg Grand father. Would any one give me some info on how to find out more about him. I have a copy of his sons marrage cert from 1881 which it looks like he was a witness, The other witness has the same surname Could be is wife or sister. Thanks to any one who can give me some info. James Kevany

Heidi

Heidi Report 15 Nov 2004 19:38

before i search.....where were they married and where was your ggggf born?...and was james his name?

Joanna

Joanna Report 15 Nov 2004 19:50

Hi. My gggg f i belive was born in southampton and his name was George Gibbs. My ggg f Was called Harry James Gibbs. He was born in 1858. He got married inCarlton Baptist Chapel, Southampton on 31/07/1881 to a Mary Cannon. The other name that appears on the Marrage cert is Bertha Gibbs. Thanks James

Crista

Crista Report 15 Nov 2004 20:42

James, On every census Harry is listed as Henry. Could be why you couldn't find him. Here they are in 1881: Household: Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability George GIBBS Head M Male 52 Frome, Somerset, England Plasterer Ann GIBBS Wife M Female 55 Beaulieu, Hampshire, England Henry GIBBS Son U Male 20 London, Middlesex, England Plasterer Berthar GIBBS Daur Female 14 Southampton, Hampshire, England Scholar Isaac GIBBS Son Male 11 Southampton, Hampshire, England Scholar John BEDFORD Visitor M Male 48 Beaulieu, Hampshire, England Laborer 36 Bellevue St Census Place Southampton St Mary, Hampshire, England Family History Library Film 1341295 Public Records Office Reference RG11 Piece / Folio 1206 / 80 Page Number 12 and in 1901: Name Age in 1901 Birthplace Relationship Civil Parish County/Island View Image Fredrick Gibbs 15 Southampton, Hampshire, England Son St Mary Hampshire Henry Gibbs 42 Camden, London, England Head St Mary Hampshire Mary Gibbs 42 Penn, Buckinghamshire, England Wife St Mary Hampshire Sidney Gibbs 18 Southampton, Hampshire, England Son St Mary Hampshire Thomas Gibbs 5 Southampton, Hampshire, England Son St Mary Hampshire Ernest Scriven 43 Landport, Hampshire, England Boarder St Mary Hampshire In 1891 they are listed as Tibbs on Ancestry and a Charles Cannon aged 22 is boarding with them. Crista

Crista

Crista Report 15 Nov 2004 20:51

Here are the families in 1871: Name Age in 1871 Birthplace Relationship Civil Parish County/Island View Image Charles Cannon 5 Penn, Buckinghamshire, England Son Penn Buckinghamshire Elizabeth Cannon 8 Penn, Buckinghamshire, England Daughter Penn Buckinghamshire Ellen Cannon 34 Penn, Buckinghamshire, England Wife Penn Buckinghamshire Mary Cannon 12 Penn, Buckinghamshire, England Daughter Penn Buckinghamshire Thomas Cannon 35 Chalfont St Giles, Buckinghamshire, England Head Penn Buckinghamshire Adilade Gibbs 15 Bitterne, Hampshire, England Daughter All Saints Hampshire Alfred G Gibbs 17 London, Middlesex, England Son All Saints Hampshire Ann Gibbs 44 Beaulieu, Hampshire, England Wife All Saints Hampshire Bertha Gibbs 4 Southampton, Hampshire, England Daughter All Saints Hampshire George Gibbs 42 Finmere, Somerset, England Head All Saints Hampshire Harriett Gibbs 9 London, Middlesex, England Daughter All Saints Hampshire Henry J Gibbs 12 London, Middlesex, England Son All Saints Hampshire Isaac Gibbs 1 Southampton, Hampshire, England Son All Saints Hampshire Crista