Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Maiden Names -

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alice

Alice Report 15 Nov 2004 17:34

I have a birth certificate which gives the name of the mother as Rebecca Tunstall (her married name), late "Whitbread", formerly "Miller".......I need to know, for certain, which is her maiden name so that I can safely research her ancestors. Any help will be much appreciated..........Regards..Alice.

Hazel

Hazel Report 15 Nov 2004 17:38

Hi! I think 'formerly' would be the maiden name and 'late' a dead husband. Would have been easier if they used 'née' wouldn't it? :-)) Hazel

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Nov 2004 18:16

Alice I think its the other way, I think the last name mentioned is the first one, so she was Miller, then married Whitbread. This is from the excellent http://home*.clara*.net/dixons/Certificates/indexbd*.htm [remove * to use] "If a woman has not been married there will be a sole entry for her name e.g. Martha Robinson. If a woman has ever been married there will be two names shown for her e.g. Martha Robinson formerly Wheeler. If a woman has been married more than once the names shown will be e.g. Martha Robinson late Wheeler formerly Gregory." nell

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 15 Nov 2004 18:38

It would make sense in the time sequence for "late(ly)" to be the more recent and "formerly" to be what went before (i.e. the maiden name). Christine

Hazel

Hazel Report 15 Nov 2004 18:39

Hello again! Even the Shorter Oxford Dictionary is of no help, in this case, giving - 'formerly', at some time past, in former days, a short time ago, just now, and - 'late', recently, of late, not long ago. Thus I would go along with Nell! Hazel

Hazel

Hazel Report 15 Nov 2004 18:44

Ruminating - as one does! - I seem to find my first reply more convincing as 'late' is clearly later! Hazel

Alice

Alice Report 15 Nov 2004 22:11

Many thanks to Hazel, Nell, Barbara and Christine for your most helpful replies.....Regards..Alice

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 15 Nov 2004 23:02

The correct format is "name now", late "recent name", formerly "maiden name". Late means "of late", formerly means prior to that. Have a look at your own birth cert. Most have just married name then formerly "maiden name". A previous marriage is late(ly). The dixon site is badly written on this point Bob

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 15 Nov 2004 23:27

It's definitely the formerly name that is the maiden name. I had the same question and rang the GRO who told me that the late...... was the previous married name and formerly..... was the maiden name. Kath. x