Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

BDM query

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 15 Nov 2004 12:55

I've just searched on the marriage of an ancestor in 1880 on Ancestry.com but he's the only one on the page!! wouldn't his wife have been entered next to him?

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 15 Nov 2004 12:57

Hi, Those records are still being transcribed. If you are sure it is him send for the cert anyway - or if you know her name check it with 1837online. Gwynne

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 15 Nov 2004 13:01

Gwynne Ok thanks. Am I right in thinking they would be together? Jackie

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 15 Nov 2004 13:04

Hi, The year, quarter, district, volume and page numbers would be the same but she would appear in the index under her maiden name. - they are alphabetical. Gwynne

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 15 Nov 2004 13:05

Aha. Thanks.

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 15 Nov 2004 17:10

If you want to avoid paying for 1837Online and your ancestors were married in one of the local areas which now have a BMD website, you may be able to search online for free. http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/ has the list of local BMD sites (in two alphabetical lists - scroll past Yorks for the second lot if necessary). You can search on the pair of names on most of the sites. If it's one where you can only search on one, then you just do them one at a time and compare the refs (which are the local refs and not the same as GRO refs). Prices are the same as GRO, delivery at least as quick. The refs are links to partially completed application forms. The wedding results often include the place of the wedding (i.e. particular Church or Register Office). Christine

Heather

Heather Report 15 Nov 2004 17:27

This often happens to me! If you know the wife's maiden name, enter her in the bmd. When Ive done this, Ive found the marriage with her on her own and the page no the next one to the groom's!

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 16 Nov 2004 08:13

Thanks Christine, I'll give it a try